Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Fuel smell....Rough Start when Cold

Old 10-22-2011, 05:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel smell....Rough Start when Cold

not sure if the two issues are related, but after driving car for a few miles, you notice a slight fuel smell in the car. its not horrible to where you have to park the car, but enough to notice.

also, when the car sits overnight and its a cold morning, the car will not start at first, you have to try it twice or so, then it starts and runs fine.

96 non turbo

Old 10-22-2011, 10:00 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Yes they are likely related. Check for cracked or torn vacuum connections. Also, do you have a cel?

Old 10-22-2011, 01:45 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Did both start at the same time?
Check the fuel line clamps near the fuel pressure regulator between the timing belt cover and injector cover. I had a really small leak there that drove me crazy because the fumes would get pulled into the heater duct and I'd smell it inside the vehicle but couldn't find anything visually under the hood. Ended up following the fuel lines and using a mirror. Tightened a clamp and all was good again.
The hard starting ... could be a bunch of things. You can do an easy check on the fuel pressure regulator by pulling off the vac line and seeing if there is any gas at the regulators nipple or in the vac line. There shouldn't be any. If there is any gas the diaphragm inside the regulator is ripped and needs to be replaced. When was the last time you did a fuel filter?

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 10-23-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:32 AM

never replaced the fuel filter...only had the car a short time. im thinking the 2 issues may not be related. i drove the car all day yesterday and didnt smell any fuel. wife drives the car the most, and she is now saying the smell comes and goes.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:33 PM

any chance its a fuel pump? whats the symptoms of a bad fuel pump?

Old 10-30-2011, 08:54 PM
Administrator

The pump is in the tank so it can't cause the smell.
When a pump is going bad slowly it will start to deliver poor pressure and or poor quantity of fuel. Both would be more noticeable at freeway speed when you need more fuel for the engine to run right. That wouldn't really cause a hard start as much as a problem at higher speed, higher load.
Or it could start to lock up where you wouldn't get any fuel and you'd have to try to start it a couple times. Kind of like when you have a bad spot on the starter and you hit the key a couple times making it click and finally it moves to a good spot and spins the engine. Need a second person or a really quiet garage and listen for the pump to "buzz" or cycle on for a few seconds when you turn the key to on.
Have you checked to see if your fuel filter is restricted? It's a cheap repair if it is bad. You might also want to hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the end of the fuel rail and have someone try to start it and see if your getting the right pressure.
If stock regulator it should be around 43 psi.
It might be a bad fuel pressure regulator leaking down at night and letting too much fuel bypass when you're trying to get it started cold and the engine wants to run richer. Cold engines take a lot of fuel to start and you'd be surprised to see how much fuel those injectors flow the colder the engine is!

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 10-30-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:53 AM

is the fuel filter easy to get to...like it is on everything else..or are volvos hidden somewhere

Old 11-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Administrator

It should run you about 25 to 30 bucks at most parts stores. I did mine and it's not bad. The only problem is if that 10 or 12 mm bolt that holds the band is rusted/seized. I'm in Minnesota land of winter road salt and everything under a car rusts so badly. If you cant get it to brake free use some "PB Blaster" on it and let it sit a while. It's way better than Liquid Wrench. I mark the filter with date and mileage with a small paint "touch up" stick. If you go through the trouble of marking it make sure when you install it the info is down so you can read it in place. It also stops shops from trying to sell you one! It's easier to do if you have it up on ramps or stands. Don't use just a jack!!! Lost a co-worker that way. I used a needle nose to gently pry the hose ends off and I usually tie shop towels around my wrists. It sounds dumb but if you've ever had fuel run down your arm and get to your arm pit !!!
Copied from Matthews Volvo site:
The gas filter is located passenger side just forward of the rear axle. The band that holds the gas filter in place is a pinch band that has a nut welded/formed into it on the back/top side. A 12 mm bolt holds the band in place. The top of the band has a bracket that hold the return fuel line - this just pops off and the return fuel line can be reattached once the filter has been replaced. If your filter has never been replaced there is masking tape covering the pinch connections at both ends of the filter. Remove the masking tape. You need to put a pan under the old filter to catch any gas spillage - it will be minimal. Also the new filter comes with plastic caps on the ends of the new filter - you will want to use them to plug the old filter connectors so you need to take them off the new filter to have handy. There is a T off the inlet gas line that has a cap on it - remove the cap and press the needle in the T to relieve any pressure that is on the gas line - If it has been setting for an hour there will probably be very little if any pressure on the line. You can skip messing with the T and you will see about an ounce of fuel that will come out of the filter when you remove the hose.

To remove the connectors push the connector ring away from the filter housing. (I did the front first because I had more room). I used a paint can opener to help pry the hose away from the filter - it is shaped like a can opener but without a cutting edge - a large flat screwdriver would perform as well. It is a tight fit but once it starts to move it will come off. Once the hose is off use the plastic caps you took off the new filter to help hold the gas in the old filter. After removing both ends remove the holding band and place it on the new filter. The two lines will go back on easier than they came off, just push them onto the filters nipples. Put the 12 mm bolt back into the pinch band and re-install the return fuel line. Wipe any stray fluids and your done.

It took me 20 minutes the first time I did this. I believe I could do it in 5 now. Good Luck.

Attached Thumbnails Fuel smell....Rough Start when Cold-fuel-filter.jpg   Fuel smell....Rough Start when Cold-fuel-filter-car-2.jpg   Fuel smell....Rough Start when Cold-fuel-filter-car-side-3.jpg  

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 11-01-2011 at 04:16 PM. Reason: added pictures of my cars filter
Old 11-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Pretty easy job. Just make sure you don't get fuel in your eyes.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:57 PM

yah i actually changed the filter in my truck today, but it required the use of the disconnect tools...so with a volvo, the fuel line just simply pulls off?

Old 11-02-2011, 07:03 AM
Administrator

They just pull off.
They are directional so make sure you have the arrow in the direction of fuel flow or if it's stamped in/out it's oriented properly.

Pictures:
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=1&t=31420