Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Got The R Running Finally

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Got The R Running Finally

Well we got it all back together yesterday and it started right up and ran fine. Only problem now is an oil leak at the turbo which I had to take off to get the exhaust manifold on, and I have a coolant leak somewhere. But the engine is running fine. I am going to look at the turbo return hose today and see if that may be the problem with the oil leak, and going to try and get a pressure tester to find the collant leak. If I can't find anything Nick will take it to the shop and put it up on a lift and look at it. I can't believe I haven't driven this car since Thanksgiving!

Old 01-15-2006, 10:44 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Got The R Running Finally

Congrats on getting it all together![sm=smiley32.gif]Now its time for [sm=gears.gif][sm=burnout.gif].

Hopefully all the leaks are cake to find and fix.

Keep us posted on the leaks and how it all goes.

Old 01-15-2006, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

OK the oil lead appears to be on the return hose. I was able to tighten the torx screw a little and Nick said it was only leaking when I revved it up. But there is coolant coming out of the turbo even when the car is not running. It's coming from the hose that is closest to the enginge. I put the hose in the top hole, but there is a hole just under that hole and I don't know if something goes in that hole or what. Not sure I'm explaining it too well and it would be very hard to take a picture w/o removing the turbo. Hope you know what I'm talking about.

By the way, I like your new signature!

Old 01-15-2006, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Is it possible that it is leaking from the Bango fitting? The round fitting with the copper washers?
Did you replace the copper washers?

If not try replacing them and see if it stops leaking.

By the way Thanks I love the Sig pic.

Thanks to you and your son!!!!

Old 01-15-2006, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Is that the top hole closest to the engine? What's the hole uder that one for? It looks like coolant is coming from it, but it's probably just coming out of the on above that, and leaking into the lower hole. No I did not replace the copper washers, but I am going to tomorrow. Should I put new copper wahers on all the hoses since we had them all off? Thanks.

Old 01-15-2006, 11:05 PM
Administrator

It would be best to replace all of them to prevent leaks.
I would have to see a pic to be sure.

Old 01-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

That's what I'm doing and asked the dealer for a blow up schematic of the turb so I can see that lower hole on the engine side.

Old 01-16-2006, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Well got the leaks fixed and finally took it for a ride. Still running rough and the CEL light came on and I got P1310 and P0301 over and over again. It seems to run rough at idle in gear and at slow speeds, but when I gave is some gas it seemed to smooth out. When we did a compression check on it the last time (have not done one this time) it would get 0 compression at idle, but when we revved it, we got compression. I guess I'm going to have to take it to a Volvo mechanic after all. I just put all this money into it, and I got a feeling I'm not going to get good news from the Volvo shop.

Old 01-18-2006, 07:55 PM
reg

Any way one looks at it Jim.............you have gained more knowlege of the "innerds" of a Volvo than most of us!! I commend you for your perseverence throughout the rebuilds........... Volvo's are unlike the normal engine in a rear drive auto..........they are a piece of cake to work on especially if they have no electronics that can baffle you! Keep us updated.
Reg.

Old 01-18-2006, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

I swear if they tell me it's the rings or something in the block, I will figure out how to take the engine out myself and put rings in it. I will not be beaten by this damn car. Luckily the truck I bought runs real nice and is fine to drive daily, so I don't need the R running at this time. I hope they tell me it's something easy to fix, but I will have this car fixed and running good one way or another. Then again putting full coverage on it, parking it in the worst part of town with the keys in it and the windows down might be another alternative.

Old 01-18-2006, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Sorry Jim!!!!!!

I wish I had lived closer so I could have helped from the start.

Then we could have had it done already.

Sorry again.

Old 01-19-2006, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Nothing to be sorry about tech. I'm not really all that upset about what I've done to the car or anything other than buying it in the first place, because I don't think the dealer was honest with me. It had a burnt valve which had to be fixed. Where we screwed up really did not cost us anygthing but time and maybe $150. That's not really that bad when you look at it from that perspective. Now if they tell me the engine is shot, I am out about $1500, which is quite a bit and I still have a car that needs a new engine. I just hope it's something that can be fixed.

I drove it again the night before last. It was cold and raining and I forgot my cell phone. I was about four miles from home and it started running real rough, kind of chugging. I popped it into neutral and gave it some gas and it seemed smooth, put it back in gear and it was ok, did it again about a half mile down the road, did the same thing and then I just wanted to get home. Came to a red light and had to stop, and I'm just knowing the car was going to stall and I would have to walk home in the rain. Well it kept running and just a little rough. When I got closer to home I gave it a little gas and it smoothed out again and it really felt like it was asking me to just let it run. I just took it home and put it back in the garage. I have an appointment with the Volvo reapair shop on Tuesday. I'll probably drive it a little this weekend when it's daylight and the weather is decent. I'm so tempted to just floor the thing and see what happens.