Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Grandmas Volvo needs a timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Grandmas Volvo needs a timing belt

Hiya guys and gals~

Here's my sitch in a nutshell:

I was gifted a '97 volvo 850 base with 27,5k 2 years ago. since then, I have put another approx. 25k on the car in the time I have owned it (Odometer gears broke at 39k). I did a minor anount of work on it.. an ignition system overhaul(cap, wires, plugs), K&N oil filter... While my kids' Grandmother owned the car, it was almost entirely dealship serviced (except when they failed to discover the source of an elusive issue). I have all her service records. I recently went through them to see when the timing belt was changed since it is at the 20 year mark for the vehicle and ... I don't see that it was ever changed.

I have driven with this woman and she is the epitomical elder driver. Her unexpressed Credo is "Extreme caution at all times". Likewise, as a middle-aged adult male (mid-50's) who has been through a number of vehicles and seen the effects that neglect and abuse can have on a car (be they my fault or a previous owner), I have been very good to this car. I can count the number of times I've had to accelerate quickly off an entrance ramp on one hand. Other than that, I keep a cup of coffee on the dash to enforce a slow driving policy (no lie, I almost always have a travel mug on the dash with coffee in it).

I know you all want to yell and scream that I have to change that belt ASAP. I feel ya. Here's my quandry and my question:

On the FCP website, the belt itself is $24. The kit with tensioners and idler is $235. This is an '97 850, gently driven throughout it's 20 year life. Do you think that a 20 year old 850 with >55k requires me to change the whole kit and kaboodle? I am of limitted financial means so "having all items on hand" is not my first option. I've listened at the cover.. no chirping.. no grinding.. everything seems quiet and normal. I'm sure there will be cracking in the belt when I bend it after removing it...

So... Please chime in with your opinions. I know the belt itself is WAY OVERDUE for replacement. That's a given. It's the other components with only 55k on them. I'm handy enough with a wrench.. but not thick of wallet.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:18 AM

I don't know when Volvo recommends changing the belt. I seem to recall it being something dumb like 105k. Regardless, 55k is not "way overdue" for a belt as far as mileage is concerned. That being said, age has an effect on rubber, hence the date stamp on tires. It's a 20 year old belt. If it were my car, I'd throw a new one on for 24 bucks and be done with it.

Last edited by mudpie; 04-30-2017 at 12:28 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:52 AM

Age has a HUGE factor on rubber. You know how old tire is super hard and have no traction? Yeah, same with a belt. I would not even start the vehicle with a 20 year old rubber belt, it if snaps, the engine is all over.

At minimal, I'd change the belt itself and change the coolant if the coolant age is unknown.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I would strongly suggest the whole kit. It isn't usually the belt that fails, its an idler or tensioner pulley.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T
I would strongly suggest the whole kit. It isn't usually the belt that fails, its an idler or tensioner pulley.

When was the serpentine belt last changed? That one is much easier and ensures you don't have a problem at an inopportune time. It's only another 18 bucks.

If you're going small, do the rubber first.

From having now changed both 960 and 850 engines, suggestion: spend 18.00 and buy a 1/2" drive serpentine belt kit. The reason: it's one of the few things that will fit in the very tight space needed with a T-45 to remove the Torx on the hydraulic timing belt tensioner.

Don't ask me how I know, lol.

Besides, you can always resell it.

I now take my dimensions to my favorite welder and he makes me custom tools like this for 10 bucks each, he considers it fun.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

The timing belt/idlers are crucial as its an interference engine (failed timing belt = bent valves = head rebuild at $1500+). Since the timing belt comes off during the serving, its also worth replacing as would be any timing belt idlers that are noisy or feel off. Yes the serpentine belt requires a special tool - not the same has the serpentine tool from Harbor Freight. The serpentine tensioner has box about 5/8" and not a lot of clearance. If you happen to have a 5/8 drive breaker bar, it would work (not a common tool for most of us with 1/2 drive sockets) but IPD sells the tool for about $40... Dunno if a 1/2 drive will work - it didn't on my 95. On the T45 torx, some people have resorted to using wedges to hold the bit in while turning as well (for the timing belt tensioner)...