Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Hard starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard starting

Hi, I am new to Volvos and new to this forum. I recently purchased a 96 850 GLT non turbo. This car has over 200000 miles but it is in good over all condition but it does have a couple issues when i bought it. The first thing I was told that it needs was a timing belt change so I replaced the belt, water pump, tensioner pully, and idler pully myself. Another thing was that is starts hard particularly when it is cold outside. You need to turn the key on average a dozen times before it will stay running(it acts like there is a lack of fuel). Once it is warmed up, it is good for 6 or 7 hours after being shut off and will fire right up. I am thinking the problem is the fuel pump but why would it fire right up when it is warm? Any help would be appreciated to diagnose the problem.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:28 PM

Start by checking the fuel pressure at the fuel rail first thing in the morning.
You can rent a fuel PSI tester, hook it up, start the car and watch the gauge.
I dont know what the fuel PSI is supposed to be, but I do know its higher than 0.

Also replace the fuel filter, do that no matter what.
I dont know about the sedan, but in the wagon the fuel pump is easy to replace.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:09 PM

I will replace the fuel filter asap. Does the car need to be running to check the fuel pressure or can it be simply checked by turning the key. I think the pump will turn on when the key is turned on most vehicles.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:27 PM

Yes you can check it with just the key in the "run" position, the pump will run for about 5 sec and then shut off.
But it should hold pressure over night.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When it's running the pressure at the fuel rail should be around 43 psi. If you cycle the key to ON it should be near that pressure and hold it for at least a few minutes. I'm not sure they will hold the pressure overnight. They don't really need to as each time you cycle the key to ON the pump should run long enough to "prime" the system and give you the pressure you need to start the vehicle. Once the computer "sees" a high enough RPM signal it knows the engine has started and turns the pump on full time.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

It really sounds like you may have a PNP switch problem. You will need to replace or rebuild it.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Oh, if the car is cranking, that would rule out a problem with the PNP.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by parr3010
Hi, I am new to Volvos and new to this forum. I recently purchased a 96 850 GLT non turbo. This car has over 200000 miles but it is in good over all condition but it does have a couple issues when i bought it. The first thing I was told that it needs was a timing belt change so I replaced the belt, water pump, tensioner pully, and idler pully myself. Another thing was that is starts hard particularly when it is cold outside. You need to turn the key on average a dozen times before it will stay running(it acts like there is a lack of fuel). Once it is warmed up, it is good for 6 or 7 hours after being shut off and will fire right up. I am thinking the problem is the fuel pump but why would it fire right up when it is warm? Any help would be appreciated to diagnose the problem.
from my experience,
my car has been impossible to start when it gets really cold outside, it could be quite a few things, I havnt found my problem yet.
it could be the engine temp sensor, a dirty MAF ( clean it), fuel pump relay (the test is to remove it and leave it inside for the night, and put it in in the morning and see if it starts up easily and runs) could be the fuel pump regulator, or even an ignition problem.

id start by cleaning the MAF and testing the fuel pump relay because it costs nothing!

Old 01-23-2012, 11:43 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by matt01
It could be the engine temp sensor, a dirty MAF ( clean it), fuel pump relay (the test is to remove it and leave it inside for the night, and put it in in the morning and see if it starts up easily and runs) could be the fuel pump regulator, or even an ignition problem.!
When it will not start, jump the fuel pump relay and see if it start. Research how to jump it now and then use that info when it's cranking but will not start.
Have some starting fluid handy and use it when it will not start. If it fires up and runs a little you know it's fuel and not spark.
Also when it's cranking and not starting pull the coil wire and see if you're getting a good solid spark. If so then pull a plug wire and make sure it's getting through the cap and rotor to the plug.

They're all cheap and easy tests that will help you find your problem or at least narrow down the search.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:33 AM

Thanks for the advice! I did some more research and if the fuel pump relay chatters then it is going bad. I have been hearing a clicking sound coming from the drivers side dash area. Im going to over ride that and see if that is the problem. I did replace the fuel filter and air filter but i havent done a cold start to see if that was the problem but im guessing it is the fuel pump relay. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!