Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Hose underneath the Heater Core???

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hose underneath the Heater Core???

My 850 started overheating a couple days ago. I changed the thermostat and did a coolant flush. Still I'm losing coolant. It finally seeped through and showed me where... IN THE FOOTWELL!!

So I'm thinking heater core. So far today i've taken the day off work to fix it. I just got in there and the core itself looks ok... no leaks... but this hose underneath it... was detached.

What is this? I just slid it back into place... but could it have come off because it's broken? No idea what it is or goes to... and it's really hard to see into there... on the picture, it's the black hose underneath the white box that the heater core is in. WHAT IS IT?

I'll be fiddling with it now... but if there are any responses, I'd love for the info.

(I didn't take this photo... I found it online... but it's the general idea of what i'm looking at)

Attached Thumbnails Hose underneath the Heater Core???-heatercorehose.jpg  

Last edited by TacklaNHL; 04-06-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

That hose is from your A/C and is the drain for any condensation that builds up on your evaporator when your A/C is run. It produces the drip on the ground when you get out of your car on a hot day after running the A/C.

Right hand drive just looks strange to us left hand drivers. :-)

Last edited by boxpin; 04-06-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:00 PM

Ok great thanks. When I got in there that hose was detached and just hanging around. It looks like it's broken off, but I can get a somewhat decent connection between the two. I was wondering if it needed to be pressurized and if I had to fix it. Sounds like I don't.

Ran into a bigger issue while changing the heater core though.... and I could use some help on this.

The heater core has the inlet and outlet hoses running from it. Simple enough. When trying to install the new core my buddy mistakenly pulled on the hose (running from the firewall) and snapped them off (well, snapped the plastic bit that attaches the metal hoses on the inside to the junction of the hoses on the engine-side)... so now I have to replace that. But... I can't get the hoses on the engine-side off of the black plastic piece that goes through the firewall and connects to the heater core hoses.

For now I just cut the hose and bypassed the firewall, the heater core, and all of it. I live in Denver, and this time of year i'm out of the worst of winter, so going without a heater will be doable, but I need to get this fixed.

How do I disconnect the 2 coolant hoses going into the car, through the black plastic junction that connects them to the metal hoses of the heater core? They look like they have some "clear" plastic tabs that squeeze? Maybe this is a release for those hoses?

Thanks for the help.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:26 PM

Can't believe I didn't think of this... it's so obvious....

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...y-lines-46740/

I'll just get some heater hose, clamp it to the metal hoses that connect to the heater core, run the hose through the firewall and to the block and back water pipe... and that's it. Do I even need the black plastic piece? Just use the metal plate on the engine side to keep the hoses separate and then some split hose as a grommet... should be good?

If I need to use the broken black plastic piece and run my new hose through it then i'll still need to know how to remove this metal junction on the engine-side hose so I can free-up the black plastic piece.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

Thats where I was heading when I read what happened. Glad you found it without me having to look :-)