Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

How much is it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How much is it worth?

I have a 96 Volvo 850 GLT Wagon with somewhere around 200k miles (not sure because the odometer stopped working a while back). The engine has been running roughly because of misfiring and has been diagnosed that one of the valves has no compression. I know how to do basic repairs but I've been told that this problem requires that the engine be rebuilt or replaced. Not having the time or experience to do the work myself or the money to pay a shop to do the work for me, I continued to drive it after disconnecting the fuel injector on the bad cylinder.

Then the battery died. Instead of spending over $100 on a new battery for a car that I wasn't sure how long would last, I bought one on Craigslist for $30. Then I did something REALLY stupid... I was in a hurry to replace the battery when I put the new one in the same orientation as the old one. When I hooked it up, there was a strange hum followed by a burning smell and smoke, so I quickly disconnected it. It turns out that the new battery had the positive/negative terminals reversed. Yes, I'm embarrassed to admit that I hooked it up wrong and must have fried something. When I turned the battery around and connected it correctly, I started the engine okay but now all the lights on the dashboard were lit up. The car was drivable for a short while until the battery died (sounds like the alternator?).

My dilemma is that, on top of the major engine repair, I now have a major electrical issue that has yet to be diagnosed. I think I'm in over my head and now need to figure out the best way to the most value out the car. I hate to get rid of it because I have 3 new teenage drivers that could use a car, but it seems like it's just not worth the cost of repairs just to get it running smoothly again. Therefore I plan to sell the car, but want to ask a fair price for both me and the buyer.

Other that the major problems I've already mentioned, the car has the usual wear such as a few tears in the seats, faded interior, and I was getting ready to replace the headliner (which I already purchased the fabric). Otherwise, I just bought 4 new tires which alone cost about $350 and replaced all the spark plugs, wires, etc. when I was trying to solve the misfire problem.

Sorry for the long-winded explanation, but taking into consideration everything mentioned above, does anyone have any thoughts about how much it's worth or suggestions about what to do?

Old 10-23-2014, 05:39 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the forum, sorry it's under these circumstances.
With a bad engine it's not worth a lot to me. I say that because this is just my personal opinion on it's value. You really need to post up some photos of the cars condition. Unless you have an excellent interior and exterior not many buyers are going to be interested in swapping in an engine and with all the dash lights glowing at them few will want to buy it to fix.

I understand they are new tires and you have new tune up parts but the tune up parts are on a bad engine and so are the tires.

Mine was running poorly/died intermittently and had a rear knock that no one could find with new tires and one front brake rotor and pads that I paid $300 for. Found a blown out shock mount and gummed up IAC motor.

You can ask anything but you need to try and forget what you have into it because until it's fixed there really isn't any "value" to the newer parts, sorry.
Unless you part it out or find someone with a good engine and bad body.
I would charge up the battery and do some tests on the alternator. That or just drive it down to an auto parts or tire store and have them do a free test to check the alternator. You need to know how bad it is to be honest to a buyer. I would also try to find out the extent of the electrical damage just in case it's something you can fix or can afford to fix. Finding out all the issues and then making a decision is the way to go in case you might fix and keep it.
OR ... buy another 850 and use this one for parts.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 10-23-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:14 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The junk yard would give you about $250 to $300 for it. You may be able to sell the tires for $200 and swap the wheels from who needs them. So you are now up to $500. I only save turbo cars so that one wouldn't be worth anything to me. If the dash pad is perfect, that's another $100 to $150.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your replies, unfortunately for me there's no easy solution