Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

I need a picture of some wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a picture of some wiring

I have a '95 850 turbo. I have a few wires unplugged up by the front right headlight, under the hood. In front of the washer fluid cap. Pics included. Can somebody please take a pic/pics that show what these wires are plugged into in your car?

I have a couple problems that could be related, just trying to ascertain whether or not that's the case. Thanks! One photo per post so the other two are in the subsequent posts.

TL;DR I need a picture of the wiring between the front right headlight and the washer cap under the hood. (Pics)

Attached Thumbnails I need a picture of some wiring-image.jpg  

Last edited by TheCruz831; 10-11-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:23 PM

Next pic

Old 10-11-2015, 12:24 PM

Final pic

Old 10-11-2015, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

The final pic is the probe for your OBD-1 diagnostics. There's a little slot on the side to hold it but its used to jumper into the ports under the caps. The other wire could be to your headlight wiper motor (its common to simply unplug when the motors jam or fail to park) or the winshield washer fluid pump. What problems are you researching and what features don't work? (ie wiper washer pump? headlight wipers? etc?

Old 10-14-2015, 11:15 AM

For pic 1 + 2 Check the same place on the driver side and see if find the same set of wires. I'm thinking they are for headlight wipers and fog lights.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by mt6127
The final pic is the probe for your OBD-1 diagnostics. There's a little slot on the side to hold it but its used to jumper into the ports under the caps. The other wire could be to your headlight wiper motor (its common to simply unplug when the motors jam or fail to park) or the winshield washer fluid pump. What problems are you researching and what features don't work? (ie wiper washer pump? headlight wipers? etc?
Makes sense that it's the OBD1 probe, but I have a question regarding that. I tried plugging it in to the cap in which it clearly fits (probably not the smartest idea) before I posted this thread, and since I plugged it in that first time, despite having unplugged it right thereafter and leaving it unplugged, there's a fairly loud hum coming from that front-right area. It gets quieter when I'm actively rolling the windows either way. Do you have any idea what could be causing that sound? I think I'll do some more investigating when I go out there.

The main problem I'm dealing with, apart from the weird hum, is a brake light that keeps going out. I haven't checked this new one that I put in a couple days ago, but the last couple have burnt out right away - the last one, I turned the car fully on, checked the brakes and they were working, and then drove off and found them burnt out that day. I suppose I'll check the actual board where the lights get screwed in to see if there's something amiss.

I'm sure one of those wires is for the foglight, because I don't have one on that side. Need to check if the right headlight wiper works because the other one could be for that.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by eddie62
For pic 1 + 2 Check the same place on the driver side and see if find the same set of wires. I'm thinking they are for headlight wipers and fog lights.

I actually don't have a foglight on the right side, so that probably explains one of the wires. I'm gonna see if the right headlight wiper works because that would explain the second wire.
I was hoping that my brake light problem would be related to this, rather than a short somewhere... Or maybe I've just been getting bum bulbs, I've only tried three or four and they all came from the same body shop, except for this last one which I still need to check.

I'll check all of this when I go out to my car, and I'll give an update.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:21 PM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

The hum from the right front is a wiper motor. Manually make the wiper move through its arc and it'll shut off. They use a lot of power, so you need to turn that off and then unplug it if you can figure out which one it is.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator