Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Boost cuts off on wot

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost cuts off on wot

95 turbo wagon

I recently bought the car with a code for crankshaft positioning sensor. During wot the boost cuts off momentarily. Thinking it was sensor related I had it replaced and while it performs slightly better the problem is still there. At the same time I did a full blown stage 0 without much of improvement. I ordered intercooler silicone hoses thinking there might be a boost leak somewhere, what else should I look into?

I also noticed that the vacuum hose going into the egr (right below iac) is disconnected. Plugging it back in throws the car's idle off making it feel like its misfiring, unplugging it returns the car to normal idle. Anyone with experience dealing with this or similar issue?

Old 10-05-2015, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Well, if you hit 14.5psi of boost your ECU is going to cut off the fuel which is probably what you are feeling. Most of the time this occurs at heavy load like getting up speed to get on the freeway. It will be an abrupt jerk. Typically this is caused by vacuum/boost line deterioration and the inability for the wastegate to open.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by boxpin
Well, if you hit 14.5psi of boost your ECU is going to cut off the fuel which is probably what you are feeling. Most of the time this occurs at heavy load like getting up speed to get on the freeway. It will be an abrupt jerk. Typically this is caused by vacuum/boost line deterioration and the inability for the wastegate to open.
Thank you for responding.

I have done a complete stage 0 and I replaced all of the vacuum lines, inter cooler/iac hoses with silicone ones, while it runs better, it still "cuts off " on wot.... Where do I go from here? I have the egr line unhooked (temporarily) but I don't think this will cause the problem.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dbraddock
Thank you for responding.

I have done a complete stage 0 and I replaced all of the vacuum lines, inter cooler/iac hoses with silicone ones, while it runs better, it still "cuts off " on wot.... Where do I go from here? I have the egr line unhooked (temporarily) but I don't think this will cause the problem.

Make sure your wastegate is free of binds. Its a simple process, boost hits the wastegate actuator and opens the gate, boost decreases. If it cant open...overboost and fuel cut off.

or

Get a tune, it will remove the fuel cut off.