Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

I took video of my volvo leaking fluids, what is wrong..what do I replace?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I took video of my volvo leaking fluids, what is wrong..what do I replace?

ok, here is the link to the video: http://planet.lilug.org/images/volvo...oling.leak.mov

the clip is only about a minute.

I believe it's the radiator tank that is leaking, what is the best way to fix this? I have a 1996 850T 2.3L, and it has about 145k miles. I got this Indian Head Gasket Shellac, should I just patch this tank with sealant?

Or do I take out the whole radiator, and have the tank replaced by a radiator repair shop? Are there any instructions on this forum for removing the radiator? I don't need to buy a new radiator do I? That is like $270, plus a couple hours of labor. I think just having this one plastic tank replaced will do the trick, I'm just not sure about how to remove the radiator. Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Spioana

Old 11-24-2007, 04:37 PM
Default RE: I took video of my volvo leaking fluids, what is wrong..what do I replace?

o, for those of you who don't want to download the video, or are on dialup etc, here is a picture of the leaking.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:18 PM
Default RE: I took video of my volvo leaking fluids, what is wrong..what do I replace?

o yea, it's an automatic tranmission also.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks like you need to replace the radiator. You can get a new one from www.eEuroparts.com for about $210 or $205 from FCP Groton. It shouldn't be too difficult to replace if you use this forum for advice and/or have a Haynes manual or some other vehicle specific manual.

I wouldn't drive it like that - that's a big leak. You'll be going through a lot of coolant. Also, be careful not to open the cap when it's hot (I know someone who got their face burned very badly doing that). I'd order the radiator, let it sit until it arrives and replace it right away.

All it should take to replace it is to drain the coolant (there's a plug at the bottom of the radiator), disconnect the rubber hoses going into and out of the radiator (one on the top and one on the bottom), unscrew the bolts (probably about 4 on top) that attach it to the car (you'll have remove the plastic casing that's above it to access it), disconnect the electrical connections to the fans and pull it out. Once it's out, disconnect the fans from the radiator (probably about 4 bolts per fan) and attach the fans to the new radiator. Then reinstall in the reverse of removal. You might want to replace the two rubber hoses and the thermostat (inside the metal casing at the other end of the top rubber hose) while you have it drained out.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:49 PM

Yes, I have a Haynes manual, I'll use this. Are you sure I need to replace the entire radiator.. $205 is a lot of money. I can't get by with just taking the radiator to a radiator repair shop and having them replace that plastic tank for $50 USD?

And if I do replace the entire radiator..which one on FCPGroton do I order..I'm looking at this page: http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo850cooling.htm#radiators

The order number is: 8601356 ? Is this correct? It says.. "Radiator fits 93-98 850 Turbo Models Fits both Auto and Manual Tranny's" this is the proper part for my vehicle?

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

Cheers,
Spioana

Old 11-24-2007, 10:52 PM

o yea, I have the turbo too, I forgot to mention I think. 850T, and which order numbers do I need for the hoses, you say I should replace the hoses while I'm at it too? And the thermostat was replaced two months ago, so that is good. I tried to do it myself, but the bolts seemed to be frozen in the thermostat casing, so I took it to pepboys and they stripped the bolts, then drilled them, and then replaced the thermostat. ****ers, heh. Maybe they knocked my tank while they did that too. Is there a better price anywhere for buying this radiator unit?

o yea, and how many of each hose to I replace? I need to order one new top hose, and one new bottom hose?

thanks again

Old 11-25-2007, 06:26 PM

Hi there,

I'm not sure whether you can repair the radiator or not. Hopefully somebody more experienced than me will respond to you on this (I know Tech's traveling so hopefully JPN or S70Driver will notice this). You can always ask for an estimate from a radiator (or Volvo) shop, but they might charge you an hour for diagnostics and then be spending half the cost of a new radiator anyway. I'd rather buy a new one. As far as I know, that plastic tank is part of the radiator (look at the pictures on www.eEuroparts.com of the radiator). If there's coolant blowing out like that, there has to be a hole in your radiator.

As for the part numbers, it looks like you have it right. I pulled up 8601356 for the radiator. I would expect FCP Groton or www.eEuroparts.com to have the best price. As for the hoses, you'd just needone of each (these are optional replacements, but I figured it was better to change mine while I had everything apart anyway). So, that's one upper radiator hose (1335433) and one lower radiator hose (9470409).

One other thing, I think with the automatic you'll need to drain the automatic transmission fluid since that attaches to the bottom of the radiator. I'm not sure of what's involved in doing that, but I'm sure someone else here has the answer.

If I have time, I'll browse around and try to find a cheaper price on those parts for you...

P.S. Here's a nice diagram of the cooling system in the 850 in case that helps at all: http://www.partsquick.com/ProductPic...&t=Diagram

***EDIT: FCP Groton has it for $5 cheaper on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-V...4286QQtcZphoto***

Old 11-25-2007, 08:19 PM

Thanks a lot 99VolvoV70, I appreciate the help. I got some plastic epoxy at Pepboys for $5 USD, and I cleaned the crack, and sanded it, cleaned it again..and then put epoxy all over it, it hardened in 20 minutes, I drove it around for 40 minutes, no leaks or anything. This should be a good temp solution for at least a month. I'll order that new radiator and one of each hose tomorrow, and go from there and figure out how difficult of a DIY job it will be.

Cheers,
John

Old 11-25-2007, 10:51 PM

Glad to help... if it holds up for awhile, you might want to wait until Tech gets back from traveling and see if he has any thoughts about it. (he's the local expert on here)

Old 11-26-2007, 02:32 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

It really isn't all that bad.
It just takes time.
You will have to get the front of the car high enough on jackstands to drop it from the bottom.
Then remove the cooling fan assembly,All 4 cooler lines from the radiator and coolant hoses.
Drain the coolant. Install wire ties around the A/C lines from the condensor to the body to hold it.
There is 4 10mm screws going through the condensor to the radaitor. Remove them then the 2 12mm screw from the radiator to the body.
You will have to drop the radiator and intercooler as one unit then swap out the radiator.
Then install everything.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:59 PM

So, tech, do you agree that the radiator needs to be replaced (not just patched)? Did you check out the video?

Welcome back, by the way, glad to hear the trip went well.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Replaced not patched.
No didn't watch the video saw the pic.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:48 PM

Thanks tech. (If you get a chance you should check out the video, it's pretty amazing. I wish I'd taped my leaky radiator on the Eclipse now.)

There you go, John. Looks like replacement is the way to go.

Good luck.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:04 PM

Yeah, i literally just did this last week... it was really fun getting know more about me car.. i would reccomend that you tackle it yourself if you car to... that is to say... if you enjoy wrenching. It tooke me about 3 hours to do... and that was with replacing my oild cooler lines and an oild change at the same time... Its pratty dang basic

Old 11-27-2007, 11:14 PM

ok, so SWMBO was a little nervous taking the volvo to school, so I took it, and I gave her my truck. It seems to drive fine, my plastic epoxy patch seems to be holding up good. I ordered the radiator and two hoses(top/bottom) on fcpgroton, they should arrive tomorrow or the next day. There is a slow leak somewhere, I think there is another crack in the radiator I haven't found yet, but it's slow enough not to be a concern, the gushing has stopped. As for me changing out the Radiator myself, I'm questioning how difficult the job will be, and how badly I can mess it up. I've done some stuff to this volvo, I changed the back bumper (someone hit SWMBO's car while she was parked), I chanegd the door hitch thing (so the door settles in when you open it, and it doesn't just swing open), I changed out the back right taillight casing (volvo put a couple bolts in very hard to reach places for this), front headlight casing, the alarm horn didn't work, so I got some alarm horn from pepboys and that works now, I polished the leather seats which were a little cracked with some shoe polish (works nicely, they look good).

But I haven't done much in the engine area (I'm questioning my ability to do the job), is it really just as simple as draining the coolant, pulling the thing out..and putting the new one in? filling coolant back and, and it's ready to go? The transmission connects to this radiator right? what about the transmission cooling levels? and the turbo connects to it also? and does the air conditioning connect? As for pulling out the radiator, the best way to pull it out is from the bottom? How high would I have to get the volvo up? Would something like this: http://astore.amazon.com/gp/detail.h...sin=B0002YTN4I work? Do I need to lift it like a garage would, or will jack stands work? I have the volvo haynes manual, and it all just seems to easy. I know will take time to do all of this, but the procedure seems dangerously too simple, is there something I'm forgetting, or the manual doesn't say? Do I need to have the car on a lift in a garage to be able to get the radiator out? What is the worst case scenario? are there common problems people do when they do a job like this? What should I look out for? I'm sort of nervous.

I bought these jack stands that have a maximum of 23", is that high enough? Are there any not so expensive ramps I can just buy, seems much easier to just have ramps to drive up onto, instead of using jack stands all the time, what do you guys do to get your car off the ground, jack stands, ramp? hydraulic lifts? heh I was thinking maybe just use 1x4 peices of wood, and to just drive the volvo up on some cinder blocks... What I really want is just a 2 or more feet ramp, but it seems like all the ramps don't go over 10 inches. It must be some safety thing. Does anyone know where you can find a two foot ramp?

o yea unrelated, since I've been driving the volvo, I discovered this rattle, when the front right wheel hits a bump, something near/underneath the engine makes a rattling sound, like something needs to be tightened. Anyone guess as to what this might be? What might come loose that I should check.

again thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

Cheers,
John

Old 11-28-2007, 05:50 PM
Administrator

It should be pretty easy.
Those jackstands should be fine.

The noise is most likely dry steering stops.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:07 PM

What mount points should I use for the jack stands? on the 850 wagon

Old 11-28-2007, 06:31 PM
Administrator

You can either go where the triangle plate is from the subframe to the body.
Or you can use the subframe in the middle front by the engine mount to lift the entire front.
That is using a floor jack.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:12 AM

Yeah, I second, or fifth, anyway, that you need to change that rad out. I just did one on my 98 t5 wagon, not too hard at all. The messiest part is disconnecting/reconnecting the oil lines from the intercooler.... I only paid $50 for my rad from a yard, here's the link to see if there is one near you that has a vehicle compatible http://car-part.com/ If you go to a u-pull-it yard you can get the experience pulling the rad on the doner car before performing the swap on your vehicle. When you refill your cooling system, use premixed, it just makes things easier, and SLOWLY fill your cooling system. Picking up a haynes manual is never a bad idea... Good luck!

Old 11-30-2007, 07:02 PM

I got a set of Rhino Ramps at Autozone for less than $40 that clear the front bumper easily and give me good space underneath. Much easier than jacking it up for oil changes, trans. fluid change, leak sourcing [:@], etc.

They were well worth the money.