Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

I'm Back! Found another 850 Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm Back! Found another 850 Wagon

Its been a few years but I recently picked up another 850 this time non turbo 1996. Its just for a daily and this thing was a good deal for only 1300. I was told the motor was replaced and I have full documentation on all repairs, minus the motor being replaced. Other wise its only got 160,000 miles so Im not too worried..

ive got some weird issues though
AC cuts out randomly ( saw the stickied thread I might try to fix it )
When I stop the car pulls to the left dramatically. (I was told there are spacers in the top hat of the strut, I dont know much about that.)
Smells like gas inside after a while. (leaky fuel pump seal?)
ABS light stays on for a few minutes (car comes with drilled and slotted rotors wonder if he forgot to attach a sensor?)

Otherwise the car runs great Wonder if anyone can give me a few leads on these issues.

Thanks!

Old 07-30-2013, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Junkyardspecial
Its been a few years but I recently picked up another 850 this time non turbo 1996. Its just for a daily and this thing was a good deal for only 1300. I was told the motor was replaced and I have full documentation on all repairs, minus the motor being replaced. Other wise its only got 160,000 miles so Im not too worried..

ive got some weird issues though
AC cuts out randomly ( saw the stickied thread I might try to fix it )
(Boxpin: Its one of two things. Too much gap in the clutch or low on freon)
When I stop the car pulls to the left dramatically. (I was told there are spacers in the top hat of the strut, I dont know much about that.)
(Boxpin: Could be tires, air in the brake line, frozen caliper)
Smells like gas inside after a while. (leaky fuel pump seal?)
(Boxpin: More likely the top vent hose on the tank. Known for cracking)
ABS light stays on for a few minutes (car comes with drilled and slotted rotors wonder if he forgot to attach a sensor?)
(Boxpin: Doubt is the rotors. Try this, after you start the car bring the key back just a tad. Not enough to shut off the engine but just some movement and see if the light goes off.)

Otherwise the car runs great Wonder if anyone can give me a few leads on these issues.

Thanks!

Answers in the body of the message

Old 07-30-2013, 09:32 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Congrats.

My slant on your ABS, Maybe your module is going bad. Check with ww.MidWest-ABS.com

As for your pulling, when I got mine it was pulling to the left when I first hit the brakes sometimes. I had a worn bushing in my control arm. When I pulled the arm the bushing fell out on the ground.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by boxpin
Answers in the body of the message

Thanks guys, tires are old, 6 years old, Im going to do cheapest ifx first, so ill try and rotate, then balance then so on. Ill be buying new tires for it soon. Ill get under the car and check out the control arms as well.

Im hoping its not the ABS module, but I remember mine on my other 850 was giving me fits.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:30 PM

Oh I forgot two more issues the car had. The drivers side key hole wont turn, im think graphite lubricant might work? also the remote clicker doesnt work either. Im thinking that might be expensive to fix or will the dealer do something for me?

Old 08-02-2013, 01:47 AM

Change the battery in the remote first
The handle from the door is very easy to take out there are 2 torx screws on the door side under a triangular plastic cover. When the part is out you can try the key and if it works it's the door lock which is the problem otherwise it's the barell. I presume some thief tried to brake into the car and ruined it...

Cristian