Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

interior lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interior lights not working

Hello everyone

i have a green 1996 850gt non turbo. The interior lights went out. [:'(] It kind of had a slow death. I checked the fuses and dimmer switch suggested by other posts but still couldnt get them to work. the radio, turn signals and other warning lights still work, however the cluster and center console refuse to come on. i used to be able to turn off the car and turn it back on to get them to work but once i hit a dip in the road they would go off and never come back on. now they wont come on at all. im cant see how fast im going at night haha i hve to use my cellphone to keep it lite.

im convinced its a loose wire somewhere? anyone have any suggestions on wehre to look? thanks

Old 09-20-2006, 09:19 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: interior lights not working

I would check the wires coming out of the Dimmer switch and maybe even the switch.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:15 PM

u kno, this happened to me once. i dont if this is the dimmer switch or not, but in my 1993 volvo 850 it has an option to turn off the interior lights, turn on interior light, or just have the lights turn on when the doors open. It should be located in the center above the radio on the ceiling, those are the lights that are in the front on the ceiling, and the switch is probably set off to the OFF position. I dont know if that would help, but it helped for me. i notice every now and then i hit that button to the OFF position, but maybe its just me
-------------------------------------------------------
EDITED PART: as for ur dash lights, i have no advice onto how and go and solve that problem

Old 08-15-2007, 02:15 PM

its been almost a year and the volvo still has no lights! haha anyone know how i go about taking out the dimmer switch? if i follow the sticky on the dash removal will i get to it? or is that unecessary.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

You have to remove the foglight switch under the dimmer switch. Then slide the dimmer switch out.

I just had to replace the one in my car for no dash lights.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:27 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I would also look for a loose connector under the driver side dash, or something in the CEU (Central Electrical Unit; the fuse box in the engine compartment) might have given in.

It may be helpful if you have a diagram. Let me know if you need one and I'll post it for you.

JPN

Old 04-26-2008, 02:15 PM

I had the pretty much the same issue and it was a short in the instrument illumination circuit (pink wiring).We couldn't trace the wire all the wire to the short since it dove into the dash where we lost it so I cut that particular wire out the the splice. My lights come on and stay on now except for a few switch lights. When I get the time, I'm going to check each one for voltage on the pink lead to figure out which one I cut and which ones just need new bulbs.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:14 AM
Default Map lights and interior does'nt works ( not the panel lights)

Hi I have a Volvo 850 1994 and have problems with the inside map lights and the lights of the doors too, it doesn't go on neven when I open the door I check the fuses on the fuse box and those are good, is there another fuse? And if is there another where is at?

Last edited by 0118papo; 04-07-2016 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Model of the car
Old 04-07-2016, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

If all the door behave the same then I would look at the overhead interior lights switch. Each door has its own switch in the lock mech. If all the doors do not turn on the lights then the problem is not the doors. You should be able to turn on the interior lights via the overhead switch. If you cannot then the problem is before the switch and most likely a power deliver issue. So start with the overhead switch and test.