Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

issue with my volvo

Old 07-27-2007, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default issue with my volvo

i have a 95 volvo 850 with 218,000 miles. i have a question regarding the the cooling fan: the highest (4th) position does not work at all it only goes to 3, so in the winter time when you are trying to get heat it takes the car forever to get warm. What do you guys think the issue with that is. Also sometimes it will squeak, but now always.

Also i was wondering if it was a hard thing to replace the arms that hold up the tailgate, i was looking at it and can't figure out how they are replaced.

Rear window washer fluid does not work when you push the button.

Any thoughts on the cruise control, i think it worked for a little bit when i got the car about a year ago and it has fully stopped working at this point.

Any information regarding my problems would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:05 PM
Default RE: issue with my volvo

I believe you are referring to the A/C-heater blower speed on a manual A/C-Heater System (it has 4 speeds). There is a Max Fan Relay that might be your problem. The power for speeds 1, 2, and 3 go through a resistor, but speed 4 is wired straight to the Max Fan Relay. My guess is that your Max Fan Relay needs to be replaced. I found a site that has technical manuals for the 850 online. Download the one called 850 Manual AC Heater System for details on where the Max Fan Relay is located. You can access it from inside the car on the passenger side under the glove box. This is just a guess... do any other more experienced 850 owners have any better ideas?

Here's a link showing all of the 850 repair manuals.

I don't know about changing the talgate shocks on a wagon... but the parts can be ordered from FCP Groton for $38.00 each (part number 9485548). I changed them on my 850 sedan and it was very easy.. I assume it would be similar on a wagon.

Good luck!

Old 07-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too was under the impression that the 4th speed has a separate relay for the fan. The struts for the rear tailgate are pretty easy to change. They kind of run along the roof line. You will see them when you take the covers off. I bought some for my 98 V70 and changed them with very little problems. You can find a writeup on how to do it at http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/or on volvospeed.com.

Not sure about the rear window washer. Cruise has a tendency to have a broken vacuum line that is located under the battery. I'm not sure of this, but think I read it on this board a couple time.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:30 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

As to the rear wiper washer, I am not privy to wagons but according to the diagram, there may be 3 possibilities:

1. Clogged squirter.
2. Clogged in-line filter (if so equipped; there is one for fronts but not sure if there's a separate filter for the rear)
3. Problem with the rear washer pump (motor).

I hope this gets you started.

JPN

Old 07-27-2007, 10:03 PM

Well, to add to my esteemed colleagues posts

Cruise problem is 99% likely to be the broken vacuum line under the battery tray. Disconnect battery, remove it from car. There are 2 14MM bolts that hold down the tray. Remove the tray and look at the vacuum lines there. probably one is broken.

Tailgate struts are not cheap. Follow the instructions on Matthews Volvo site and remove them and check how much tension they have. If one is significantly stronger than the other just replace the weak one. If they both are similar and won't hold up the tailgate then obviously replace both.

Rear squirter problem can be diagnosed better with someone in the drivers seat and someone at the rear of the car. Have them activate the squirter and see if you hear the pump. If the pump is turning and there is fluid in the resevoir then check the lines attached to the pump. I have no experience with the volvo rear washer so I cant tell you where it is but I assume pump is in the rear of car. If the lines look OK then check the nozzle. You can clean it pretty easy by taking a "twist tie" like off a loaf of bread and burn off about 1 inch of the plastic with a lighter or gas stove. Use the wire to clean down into the nozzle.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:26 PM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1996850turbo

Well, to add to my esteemed colleagues posts

Cruise problem is 99% likely to be the broken vacuum line under the battery tray. Disconnect battery, remove it from car. There are 2 14MM bolts that hold down the tray. Remove the tray and look at the vacuum lines there. probably one is broken.
The screws from the factory are 12mm someone might have replaced yours with bigger ones.

Also to add make sure you have your radio code before disconnecting the battery.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:40 PM

Sorry

I think you are correct the Bolts are 12MM.

I shudder to think that people actually have FACTORY radios in their cars??

Old 07-28-2007, 08:06 PM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

Mine still does but I just bought it last night!!!