Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

looking to buy a 850 wagon need advice

Old 09-17-2008, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to buy a 850 wagon need advice

Hey guys this would be my first volvo, but i'm not new to cars. I've been compteplating whether or not to buy this 94 850 turbo wagon locally but it has a couple of problems. I know the odemeter is broken but i see you guys have a fix for it so i'm not too worried about it. the second problem is that the two front windows dont work; the rears are fine. Any suggestions? also according to the owner the a/c doesn't work. Are there any common problems i should be looking for? any suggestions to fixes? I'm very savvy with cars so i'm not worried about fixing anything, i just want an idea of what i am getting into. thanks

edit: also the car has 166k on it, is that alot for a volvo? i keep hearing volvo motors are bullet proof

Old 09-17-2008, 06:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: looking to buy a 850 wagon need advice

ORIGINAL: viper92086

Hey guys this would be my first volvo, but Im not new to cars. Welcome to the Forum and I like you choice of cars.

Ive been compteplating whether or not to buy this 94 850 turbo wagon locally but it has a couple of problems.
Bummer but problems can be fixed.

I know the odometer is broken butI see you guys have a fix for it so Im not too worried about it.The parts can be ordered from a number of different vendors and isnt expensive. And taking out the cluster is a breeze.

The second problem is that the two front windows dont work; the rears are fine. Any suggestions? It may just be failed switches. You may want to pick up a Haynes or Chiltons repair manual and have a look see. Parts can be found on eBay

Also according to the owner the A/C doesnt work. Are there any common problemsI should be looking for? It may just need a recharge or theyre maybe a leak. It can be expensive to repair at a shop but if tyou decide to do the work yourself it will be a full weekend in the garage as the dash may need to be removed to get to some of the components.

Any suggestions to fixes? Im very savvy with cars so Im not worried about fixing anything,I just want an idea of whatI am getting into. As with any ride, you get what you pay for. If your not afraid to get a little dirty then this may be a good deal. You will need to post your issues and there will be someone here who can lead you in the right direction.

Dont forget to look elsewhere as there is, with just a click, more out there.

Thanks

edit: Also the car has 166k on it, is that alot for a Volvo?I keep hearing volvo motors are bullet proof!

As long as the timing belt and associated parts have been changed regularly - give or take a few miles - there shouldnt be a problen unless the previous owner has B.T.S. out of the car.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 09-18-2008, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Default RE: looking to buy a 850 wagon need advice

"Welcome to the Forum and I like you choice of cars."
+1 Couldn't have said it better myself <grin>