Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

MSD Ignition/Coil

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD Ignition/Coil

Has anyone tried using the MSD Coil on the IPD website? Anyone see any improvement in response or power?

Is the coil on IPD simply a regular MSD Blaster SS coil? Would a MSD 6AL (with rev limiter) fit/work on a 94 Volvo 850 Turbo? My car has problems starting, the engine turns over 5-8 times before it actually starts...would this maybe resolve the problem?

Thanks a lot

Old 02-12-2010, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

I am running the coil. IPD's coil is the MSD blaster that you can find at most auto parts store. What you are paying for is the mount. I bought my coil from Autozone then made my own mount patterned after the IPD mount. I'll post a picture when the sun comes up.

As for starting your car. Every little thing with the ignition and fuel will help. Coil, wires, plugs, cap, rotor, injectors, compression, fuel pump and yes...the battery. All these contribute to starting success. With a fresh tune up your car should be up to par on the spark side. Two things left, if your injectors leak you will lose pressure on the rail and the leaked fuel will build up in the intake and have to be disposed of before the car will fire. This can lead to a couple longer cranks. The other is the battery, a good strong battery that makes your engine peppy while turning over will help the whole process.

A little secret, I have the MSD blaster, IPD wires, Iridium plugs, bosch cap and rotor and all this did not change the speed my car fired up. It wasnt until I replaced my battery that it all changed. Now my car fires right up.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:21 PM

Thx for the quick reply, did you happen to notice any performance benefits from changing all the ignition accessories (coil, plus, wires, etc)? I believe mine are stock from 94, so they probably need changing (the wires and plugs were changed for sure...but coil is stock).
As for the battery, im going to be installing a nice sound system soon and ill be connecting a second battery in the trunk. Should definately have enough juice to fire her up :P

Old 02-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

I have to say yes because I had a miss at high revs. I am sure there was something there but could I say 'Oh Ya, its awsome!'...nope.

Here is a pic of my coil.

Attached Thumbnails MSD Ignition/Coil-coil-001.jpg   MSD Ignition/Coil-coil-002.jpg  
Old 02-12-2010, 11:01 PM

I see, well since I can get one for relatively cheap (around 60$), I think I'll throw one in. I'm trying to get my hands on a MSD 6AL Ignition...makes the sparks from the plugs like 20x bigger and it has a rev limiter. Thanks a lot for your time and pictures

Old 04-08-2010, 02:53 AM

Yeah I agree with you on that. MSD ignition definitely makes the sparks from the plugs bigger indeed. Really nice..

Last edited by mikeross; 04-12-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by boxpin
I have to say yes because I had a miss at high revs. I am sure there was something there but could I say 'Oh Ya, its awsome!'...nope.

Here is a pic of my coil.
hi, i am brand new to the volvo scene , and am trying to figure out how to mount a msd coil in the oem bracket , great pics btw , any further info would be really appreciated
thanks

Old 07-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 850T5M
I see, well since I can get one for relatively cheap (around 60$), I think I'll throw one in. I'm trying to get my hands on a MSD 6AL Ignition...makes the sparks from the plugs like 20x bigger and it has a rev limiter. Thanks a lot for your time and pictures
Originally Posted by travisglt
hi, i am brand new to the volvo scene , and am trying to figure out how to mount a msd coil in the oem bracket , great pics btw , any further info would be really appreciated
thanks
I dont want to burst any bubbles here but I want to make it clear. I too was thinking the MSD coil would be an excellent addition to the Volvo and that the increase of spark would really help. If you read up on VS about an spark issue I was having you would be surprised to find out that to solve the spark issue I had to close the gap on my plugs. You would think that the MSD coil would be able to span the gap no problem....it couldnt. When my boost hit 17-18psi I began to misfire. Regapped the plugs (based on advice) to .026 and the issue resolved. The MSD coil is a pretty addition to the engine compartment but I do not believe you will gain any real advantage to owning one.

Installation, go look at IPD's kit, take a piece of sheet metal and fabricate your own plate. Drill out the OEM rivets and replace your OEM coil with the MSD. Wiring is simple...bolt on. You will have to change out the spark plug wire boot too.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:00 AM

BRINGING THIS BACK FROM THE DEAD;

I want to run a MSD 6AL box with the MSD coil. Can I take the wires from the original coil and just run the them into the 6AL box? Basically positive/negative to battery or another 12 volt source with sufficient ground into the 6AL, leads from original coil into 6AL box and then output to Blaster coil? Is it really that simple? Do I need to have a signal from the crank sensor?

Some threads are saying not to even bother. Is the Ignition systems on our cars good when running more boost like say 18psi

Matt

Old 04-25-2014, 05:43 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 6AL on my RX-7. I don't think it would do anything on the Volvo until you are well over 400 HP. Most of the higher horsepower Volvos run a better coil but the ignition seems to work just fine as is. It wouldn't hurt if you already had it but there are much better places to spend your money first.
That's my MSD coil on my homemade mount.

Attached Thumbnails MSD Ignition/Coil-ignition-coil-msd.jpg   MSD Ignition/Coil-msd-ign-coil-above.jpg   MSD Ignition/Coil-83-rx-7-454-msd.jpg  
Old 04-25-2014, 08:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced the coil on my car and the main problem is clearance between the coil and the upper air filter box. I used a heat gun to soften the plastic of the box and was able to press it in enough that I have about 1/8 inch clearance. As to performance changes the thing I noticed was that it just seems to run smoother, what I was looking for, but no great increases in power. .

Old 04-25-2014, 09:29 PM
Administrator

It might be wishful thinking but it seemed mine started a little easier and idled a bit smoother too.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:48 PM

I just have an occasional misfire and thinking it is blowing the spark out. Maybe I am asking my set-up to do too much with the ARD blue tune, 18psi on a 16T. I have already performed a stage 0 and running a CAI, 3" downpipe (no cat.), 3" throttle body and IPD Silicone Hose, Ported Intake.

I have the Box and coil already just thinking it might help.

Matt

Old 04-26-2014, 08:13 PM
Administrator

AND . . . no one says you have to mount the coil at the module. If I had it to do over again I'd mount it some place where it wasn't in the way of the air filter hold downs and filter box cover itself.