Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

my $500 850!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lifesgoodhere
the light comes on for the o2 sensor? and the car shuts stall out. Disconnect the o2 sensor. You will get a code for it being disconnected, but it will eliminate the o2 sensor causing a stalling issue. IF it doesn't die on you after 10 minutes, o2 sensor is likely the problem with that issue. However, if it continues of stall after "10 minutes" you have a different issue going on.

A different issue may be the Mass Air Flow going haywire after the engine bay gets warmed up. Find the coolant temperature sensor and if you see any corrosion on the outside you should replace it.

The Flame Trap system is Volvo's version of the PCV system. On the 850s it consists of 2 parts the Flame Trap (oil trap) which is a black box located under the intake manifold attached to the engine block with hoses routing to it; as well as the flame trap valve located closest to the throttle body on the intake hose (located on the lower back side of the hose).

no it will not cause any issues with the rear end. the rear end and CV axles will just "free wheel" going down the road.

concerning the black smoke when you first start it. If that every time (engine hot or cold), or only after it has sat overnight?
im pretty sure all that needs to be replaced it is blowing oil out from around the oil cap now an the back of the vc gasket. an as far as the black smoke goes it had stoped doing it for awhile an then all of a sudden it has become really hard to start an then when it does it miss fires for a sec an puffs out black smoke for a sec but i figured that all goes back to the o2

Old 05-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no black smoke means that oil is leaking into the combustion chamber. With it being had to start when it does, it may need a new head gasket. Possible other cause of the black smoke is a leaky/worn turbo shaft, or leaking valve stem seals. stem seals are not very likely, but it is a rarity.

change out the PCV system and see if that helps anything first.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:48 PM

no black smoke means that oil is leaking into the combustion chamber. With it being had to start when it does, it may need a new head gasket. Possible other cause of the black smoke is a leaky/worn turbo shaft, or leaking valve stem seals. stem seals are not very likely, but it is a rarity.

change out the PCV system and see if that helps anything first.

Sorry but you are wrong. If oil was leaking in the chamber the smoke would be blue. Black smoke is due to a car running rich. (The fuel to air ratio being out of whack) His problem lies in the fact that @ startup there is too much fuel, in the combustion chamber. Therefore, it's not only harder to start, but when the excess fuel detonates, it creates the black puff. So what you need to do OP, is look for the reason your car is either lacking air @ start up or why excess fuel is entering the chamber after shutdown. (The latter alot more likely) The is a fairly easy deduction, since after startup, the problem goes away. Where as If it was one of the aforementioned from lifeisgoodhere, it would do it continuously while the car was running. My advice would be to check your fuel pressure after your car sits for a while. Check the regulator, as well as the injectors, (one may possibly be leaking) and I'm confident you will find your problem. Once corrected, toss in an air filter for good measure. If for some reason all of your fuel components check out. I would look to the MAF. Good Luck

Old 05-13-2012, 08:15 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

If you have a bad/leaking injector, a good fuel injector cleaner might help, like Lucas. I use the stuff at every oil change. As you said, the car sat for a while so there is a good chance that an injector or two is stuck or leaking.

Lucas Fuel Treatment : Lucas Oil

Old 05-13-2012, 10:01 PM

I've already ran the lucas through the fuel system i just looked over the car again an it looks as though i have 3 leaky injectors im gonna get my wagon going an take my time going through this one looks like it has some pretty typical problems so im not upset about it lol it did only cost $500 oh an one more thing my iac has 3 vac on it yesterday im assuming one shot of the 3rd nipple at the bottom but i cant find a line for it? was this cap'd off to begin with because i have it cap'd off now? an it idles normal now an does'nt go up an down anymore

Old 05-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Have you already run the entire tank of gas out of the car? If not, run as much of it out as you can before getting more.

If it's capped now it likely was from jump street.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:17 PM

yea i've run about 3 tanks through it already

Old 05-14-2012, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by 058ovlov
Sorry but you are wrong. If oil was leaking in the chamber the smoke would be blue. Black smoke is due to a car running rich. (The fuel to air ratio being out of whack) His problem lies in the fact that @ startup there is too much fuel, in the combustion chamber. Therefore, it's not only harder to start, but when the excess fuel detonates, it creates the black puff. So what you need to do OP, is look for the reason your car is either lacking air @ start up or why excess fuel is entering the chamber after shutdown. (The latter alot more likely) The is a fairly easy deduction, since after startup, the problem goes away. Where as If it was one of the aforementioned from lifeisgoodhere, it would do it continuously while the car was running. My advice would be to check your fuel pressure after your car sits for a while. Check the regulator, as well as the injectors, (one may possibly be leaking) and I'm confident you will find your problem. Once corrected, toss in an air filter for good measure. If for some reason all of your fuel components check out. I would look to the MAF. Good Luck
Doing this forum diagnostics is like talking on the phone. getting a correct diagnosis is very difficult with out using you eyes, ears, and nose.

I have seen many times oil that burned black. all depends on how thick it is.

injectors can be easily found. Just match the color. Use one out of a previously enjoyed volvo.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:01 AM

Doing this forum diagnostics is like talking on the phone. getting a correct diagnosis is very difficult with out using you eyes, ears, and nose.

I have seen many times oil that burned black. all depends on how thick it is.

injectors can be easily found. Just match the color. Use one out of a previously enjoyed volvo.
I will agree. And look Bro. I know we've had our head-butting episodes in the past. But I hold no grudges. In my experiences, I too have seen oil burn black. (Almost always in a carburated engine though.) Fuel injected.... a whole other animal. 99.9 (Black smoke in a FI Engine) it's gonna be excess fuel in the chamber. It's even more substantiated, by the backfire. Also, I would caution the OP as to the Valve Cover leak. (Don't jump to conclusions) These things almost never leak @ the Valve cover. More likely overflow from the cap. .99 gasket you should be good. But do check the PCV. That was good advice. None the less, you have your work cut out for you. And to lifeisgoodhere, I'm not the guy that feels he needs to one up anyone. Just trying to help. That being said, I let it go. So if you can, then were good.If not, I'll move on to another board. Either way, we're good.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:56 AM
Administrator

@058ovlov: There's no need to cut bait and run. We need people to share there knowledge and experience. From the looks of this thread, there seems to be no hostility.

@LifesGoodHere: Keep doing all you can to help. You see a lot of this stuff daily.

@Everyone else: This goes back to my point of trying to stay away from cars that are old and have been sitting. I'm not saying the car is a wash, but it sometimes takes some effort to get them back on their feet.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:12 PM

Thank you RSPI. Well put.

Letting any make, model, year vehicle sit is bad for them. Example the "Hammer" my Jeep, hadn't been ran since last summer. I went out to start it last weekend and found the fuel system had varnished up, and flooded the engine, which fowled the plugs. I have to rebuild the carb before I do anything else now. I also noticed the antifreeze level was low. I did a head gasket 2 years ago on it. I didn't resurface the head I put on. I am pretty sure that is blown.

But getting them back up and going sure is a hell of a lot of fun!

Old 05-20-2012, 09:09 PM
Default Lincoln

Hey, I'm in Lincoln, NE too! Your car looks a LOT like one I almost bought for my daughter this past April at Edward's Cash Cars in Council Bluffs...

Old 05-21-2012, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by cgw4jesus
Hey, I'm in Lincoln, NE too! Your car looks a LOT like one I almost bought for my daughter this past April at Edward's Cash Cars in Council Bluffs...
nope not this one it was sitting behind a car lot here in lincoln for the past 2yr's

Last edited by rspi; 05-21-2012 at 04:12 AM. Reason: typo