Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

My Oil Leak Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 01:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Oil Leak Part 2

Hey I still have an oil leak taht I posted about earlier, I was told when i bought the car that the front crank seal was leaking. I had the car on a ramp and tried to see a leak but with all the mess that was there I couldn't see a fresh leak. Well I replaced thefront crank and cam seals along with the oil pump O ring and gasket and tonite I cleaned up the bottom of the car and drove about 20 KM and then had a look.

It seems that the oil source is in the front of the engine and runs down the block and back the bottom of the base pan. as you can see(if ya can pick it out) the oil is beand new on the pan, it was pressure sprayed 20 minutes earlier with a degreaser cleaner and high pressure water. There is some oil runningg down the filter as well. The oil filter is new and the oil filter gasket is not leaking it had a good seat and clean surface prior to installation and is still tight.

I know there's oil cooler lines up front there maybe I'll have to havea look at those and see of they are leaking.

any other spots of areas of concern I may check taht any of you can think OF?

thanks!
-Mike

Name:  oil.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  45.8 KB

Old 10-26-2006, 04:30 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: My Oil Leak Part 2

Hello Mr. MikeySq,

Greetings again from Chicago.

I copied & pasted a part of reply to Mr. BriGuy below:

Oil cooler line is another leak-favorite location. Take a look at FCP Groton's parts illustration at:

http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo850cooling.htm

About mid way on the page, you'll see an illustration titled "Engine Oil Cooler Lines Turbo Models". Leak under the timing belt cover may be from tired seals, numbered "7" or "8" (my car is leaking from the hose itself). But as Mr. MikeySq quotes, you might want to inspect the timing belt area. It's easy enough for anyone to do, simply remove one bolt, with 12mm (13mm?) socket and the cover should slide off, you may have to wiggle a bit. If you find oil leak around the area, you want to repair it or the head may find its way to heaven. If the area is clean, then it's probably from crank pulley seal or the intercooler thermostat seal.

If the leak is on the front of the engine, the oil cooler line is a promising candidate. On my car, it is actually the hose that's leaking, though the leak is very small, a few drops per night. On the hose, there is a crimping point where rubber hose meets metal piping, and it's leaking from there. Also, the thermostat (not the coolant thermo, but the one for oil cooler, located right next to the crank pulley) housing is another leak-favorite spot. Have you checked the oil level dipstick? On rare occasion, the O-ring on the dipstick may get tired and if the internal pressure is high, oil might leak from the top of the dipstick pipe (but you probably inspected it already so I doubt it's leaking there). Oil cooler line & seal replacement are not difficult, but the parts are overpriced.

The oil system for B5234T is definitely a "D minus" design.

Cheers,

JPN

Old 10-26-2006, 09:39 AM

Thasnks JPN, Yeah I replaced the dipstick tube O Ring when I had it off and it's a snug fit. I'm going to see if i can get the car up on a ramp this weekend so I can take a look at it more closely underneath with beter light and clean the complete area as best as possible to help me locate the source a bit better.
-Mike

Old 10-26-2006, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

FWIW,

I had an oil cooler hose leak on our 95 850 Turbo. It was leaking a few drops a day right where the metal fitting is crimped to the hose. Really made a mess under the car. Replacing the hose was fairly easy, but finding it was a bit of a challenge. I took the ohse off and took it to several hose reapir and manufacturing places around the area and no one could repair it due to the odd ball fitting on the end. SO, I finally bit the bullet and ordered a new hose from the dealer. $50 and about a half hour's time and no more leak.

Check your oil cooler hoses closely.....I'll bet one of them is leaking

Glenn

Old 10-29-2006, 02:54 AM

I got under there again for a bit earlier today and for the life of me I can't really tell where it's comming from, there seems to be oil all along the front of the engine, around the sensors and stuff and even on some of the new flex loom i put on the wires leading to the sensors a couple weeks ago. I know the oil trap is OK I recentlt put it on with new clamps so that shouldn't be the source. I did see some oil arount the part under the oil pump area thar the 2 oil lines hook up to, not on the lines but on the metal , really wierd, with so much oil around you'd think it would be easy to find the source.

-Mike

Name:  PA280123.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  24.6 KB

Name:  PA280124.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  30.7 KB

[IMG][http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...120.jpg/image]

Old 10-29-2006, 10:37 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Did you replace the oil cooler hoses?

Old 10-29-2006, 02:37 PM

No I didn't replace the oil cooler lines, I've read that they can be a culprit in many cases, yet I have yet to see oil coming from them in particular, mind you I have only looked at them myself with engine at idle speed, I didn't look with the engine RPMs higher.

where these lines are kind of expensive I don't like replacing parts with out solid evidence that it's the problem, exclude timing beltt stuff haha

On these lines what usually leaks is it the lines themselvs or the cconnectors?

Are they repairable? I was thinking I could remove the lines and replace the hose with hydraulic hose which is really cheap.

What are the connectors like are they some sort of standard connector or some special volvo type? do anyone have any pics of the make and female parts of the connectors?

-Mike

Old 10-29-2006, 11:08 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

They usually leak from the crimps.

It might be easier to replace the hoses then have new ones made.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

See my post above.....The hoses on mine were leaking at the crimp. They cost about $50 each to fix.

Glenn

Old 10-30-2006, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for sh!tz and giggles...did you take a look at the oil return line from the turbo??? the oil return line going into the block is just an O-ring...if that gets harden, oil craps out every where and it seems like it'll be coming out from the oil pan or girdle. I know you said it seems like it's coming from the front, but I would give that a look. This is based on my own experience because I had an oil leak that got worst and worst and I thought it was the oil pan or somewhere in the engine, oil cooler cuz it was everywhere...then looked at it again, figured do the cheap and easy stuff first; O-ring and gaskst for oil return line was less than $10 from the dealer...after I did that, took no more than 15 min., drove around, no leaks, DONE.

just my 2psi