Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

my volvos overheating

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation my volvos overheating

ok i have a 1995 volvo 850 glt non turbo 5cyl ,4dr,Ive replaced the entire thermostat housing all the hoses the reservoir and the thermostat , i put the coolant in the bottle cause theres no where else to fill it up at start the car up it sucks down the coolant so i put more in and keep putting more in until its at the line that says stop filling , its good when it sits at idle it does not over heat it stays in the middle but then when i drive it the temp goes all the way up shoots right up there isn't any kind of sounds coming from the engine bay everything that i see is working, there is white smoke coming from the tail pipe but it doesn't look like a blown head cause the oil looks good and theirs no peanut butter like substance in the radiator or the block of any type .
and there is also steam coming from the reservoir cap on the bottle any ideas cause im out of conclusions

Old 11-27-2010, 11:39 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Is it leaking coolant? Why do you have to put coolant in the tank? It's going somewhere and if there is smoke coming from the tail pipe, something is blown. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, did I say NEVER let your car overheat. That means, shut it down before the needle goes to hot.

It is possible that you have a broken water pump. Like this one that I pulled off of a S90.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:01 PM
Unhappy

well when it starts to over heat i turn the car off and open the hood and then look at the coolant tank and see that its full then it goes empty , there is no leaks at all , the radiator is not clogged nor is nothing in the block because i drained and flushed everything, i dont know if its the water pump , but when i drive the car if i press the gas and the rpms go over 2k it starts to get hotter i had a mazda that was doing the same exact thing , i replaced everything i mean everything on that thing over 2K$ in parts all cooling parts too , and it still did the same thing so i did the A hole move and rigged it so i could sell it for my friend but i dont wanna rig something and sell this , this car is my moms and ive been having her use my car i just had to put a clutch in it and i dont want her driving it no more i really need to kno why when i press the gas it gets hotter , im pretty sure the water pump is working cause i had a mechanic come look at it and he did some type of trick to see if the water pump isnt working and it had free flow threw the block and the radiator and the right amount of pressure so we dont really know

Old 11-29-2010, 09:41 PM

My suggestion is do a compression check on all the cylinders? If you have a low reading then it's either a blown head gasket or the rings are going bad. How many miles on the car?

Old 11-29-2010, 10:46 PM

dont have money to take it to a mechanic but if i have to how much do you think they will charge me? cars got about 130k

Old 11-30-2010, 06:47 AM

Compression checks are cheap and I am pretty sure you can get the tool (basically its a gauge) on a loaner program at your local autzone or auto parts store with their "loaner tool" program.

Basically what you are doing is romoving each spark plug seperatly and inserting the compression gauge in the whole and bumping the engine to check comprssion in each cylinder. If the gauge is reading lower in one of the cylinder thats where your problem is. They all should be within a certain range of each other.

Last edited by turbo matt; 11-30-2010 at 06:55 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

If the water pump was bad or lost the impeller the car would overheat but the water would stay in the system. If the water is leaving and not dripping on the ground then its being sucked into the engine. A blown head gasket does not always go between an oil and water jacket. Sometimes its just between the cylinder and water jacket. So you may not see any mixture of fluids. If the water is leaving and not dripping you are unfortunately probably looking at a blown head gasket.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:15 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I have to say, THE WATER/COOLANT IS GOING SOMEWHERE. You keep dumping it in and it keeps sucking it up, it's going somewhere. As for why the temp goes up with you press the gas, well, higher rpm's will increase friction in the engine thus causing temp to rise. When I drove the S90 home with the broken water pump I had to watch the temp on my Scangauge II and when I had to go up a hill, so went the temp with the load and increased rpms.

I just did a compression test on my S70. Easy as replacing spark plugs.
https://volvoforums.com/forum/showpo...9&postcount=17

I consider those low miles for a Volvo, especially that motor. Remove the thermostat and see what happens.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:47 PM

In trying to determine where the coolant is going, also check your floorboards (where it will go if the heater core is leaking). Our floorboard was saturated under the floormats before we discovered the heater core was where we were losing coolant.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

+1 on that ycartf

Old 12-01-2010, 12:51 PM

ill have to wait till at least saturday for my check to come in to see if i can do the loaner tool .

now the heater core already went out seeing how i live in florida my mom really doesnt use the heater that much so i just took the 2 hoses that connected to the heater core and put them to gether thus canceling out the heater core. ac still works and doesnt make the car over heat at all , just over heats when i press the gas , but every time i put water in it just sucks it some where unknown there is no leaks what so ever i know cause i parked the car on a dry piece of card board and waited till i saw something and i didnt see anything for hours not even a oil leak , so im kinda guessing its the water pump also but im not to sure so i will have to see this weekend ill change it out , when i take it off how do i kno that its bad or not?