Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Mystery electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took a break from this situation today and replaced the odometer gear because I have been meaning to. Tomorrow evening I leave for vacation but will have my laptop. After replacing the odometer gear I went and got my codes read. I got the codes: P0101-Mass or volume air flow A circuit ranger/performance
P0172-Bank 1 system too rich

The last time which was about 7 months ago I got the following:
P050P-Idol system speed sensor
P0131-O2 sensor
P0102-MAF/VAC sensor
P0108-MAP sensor

Oh, want to see my odometer gear?

Old 10-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xpiecemealx
Ive been told to replace my starter solenoid and my ignition switch by so many people on 4 different forums dedicated to Volvo's so I am thinking I am going to go with the starter solenoid first. I have check most of my grounds I have one left and its tricky to get to.
Someone is going to have to explain to me how a bad starter solenoid could cause a power failure as described in post #1 of this thread...

Sure, as tech mentioned in post #7, make sure the positive terminal connections there on the solenoid are good and tight, but the solenoid itself only connects the battery to the starter motor (when energized).

Old 10-07-2010, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by gdog
Someone is going to have to explain to me how a bad starter solenoid could cause a power failure as described in post #1 of this thread...

Sure, as tech mentioned in post #7, make sure the positive terminal connections there on the solenoid are good and tight, but the solenoid itself only connects the battery to the starter motor (when energized).
Thats a good point I had not thought about. The starter is only used upon start up this problem happens while driving. Could someone explain?

Old 10-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Back in the day when i was rolling in a 740, my notice that it was time to replace my battery was a total shut down while driving. I would be driving down the freeway or somewhere and the car would just shut off. I would then start it back up while still rolling and keep going. I would then get a new battery within days and was good to go.

Sounds to me like there is something shorting out the car somehow. I spoke to a guy a few days ago that had a ghost with a 940. It was shutting down for no apparent reason and they found some electrical connector hanging loose in the engine bay that was grounding out causing the fuel pump to shut down. They taped up the connector and the problem never returned. One of those connectors that are not connected to anything for some reason. I see several of them in my engine bay from time to time.

My guess would be that there may be something in system somewhere shorting out the car, likely through the ignition. I recently replaced the light switch in my 960. Actually repaired it. Was causing lights to go out all over the place. Was not causing a stall though. If the only thing you touch is the light switch to cause the problem then something in that system needs to be fixed. Maybe you have a wire under the car somewhere that turning on the lights is allowing electrical flow into some other system because the wires cross. I wish you well. Hope you have a great vacation.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Default An Update:

I replaced the ignition switch today. Now I have to wiggle the key to get the headlights to turn on. What next?

Old 11-01-2010, 05:11 PM

Could the aftermarket stereo be causing this problem at all? I got one and not soon after, this problem started.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:06 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Did you put a used switch in?

Old 11-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Default 2 functions

Thats a good point I had not thought about. The starter is only used upon start up this problem happens while driving. Could someone explain?
the starter is also use to run the accesorries so it has 2 functions . bad solenoid

Old 11-08-2010, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by gdog

does,nt it also run the accesories ?

Old 11-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Default NO

Could the aftermarket stereo be causing this problem at all? I got one and not soon after, this problem started.
NO. it is not the radio . try making sure the connector on the switch is on good . take the cover off and wiggle the connector and turn the key

Old 11-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Default volvo not the car they claim it to be

I took a break from this situation today and replaced the odometer gear because I have been meaning to. Tomorrow evening I leave for vacation but will have my laptop. After replacing the odometer gear I went and got my codes read. I got the codes: P0101-Mass or volume air flow A circuit ranger/performance

The last time which was about 7 months ago I got the following:
P050P-Idol system speed sensor
P0131-O2 sensor
P0102-MAF/VAC sensor
P0108-MAP sensor

Oh, want to see my odometer gear?
they make these gears in brass also. for the price of the car they sure did use the cheapest stuff to make the parts . it looks like they used the rubber they make skateboard wheels out of .

Old 11-08-2010, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by hookuspookus
they make these gears in brass also. for the price of the car they sure did use the cheapest stuff to make the parts . it looks like they used the rubber they make skateboard wheels out of .
Someone posted a link somewhere maybe another forum, but it was all in German, plus they were sold out.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the plastic one lives half of OEM gear, the car will have outlived many of us.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:56 AM
Default google

Someone posted a link somewhere maybe another forum, but it was all in German, plus they were sold out.
google speedo replacement for volvo and it tells you how to do the job and tells you where to get the brass gears .