Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Need Help Please....Fuel pump line quick disconnect stuck

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Please....Fuel pump line quick disconnect stuck

So I am attempting to replace the fuel pump on 1996 850 T. I have gotten to the fuel pump and was able to disconnect the Power plug in and the receiving fuel line with ease. when I tried to get the delivery fuel line off it wont budge. I have been trying for days and no tool I have on hand or bought has worked. I feel like my only way to go about this now is to cut the line off at the connector and replace the whole line. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get that damn quick disconnect off. I thought this was going to be a simple in and out replacement but now its turned into this whole ordeal. Im desperate to get the car back on the road again so any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
Sarah

Old 02-03-2012, 11:09 PM

Try this link:
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...el-pump-50495/
Three or four posts down there's a photo of a tool I made to pop the gas line off. I was having a similarly frustrating time. This tool really solved the problem.

Last edited by TonyS; 02-03-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:20 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I normally use 90 degree needle nose pliers to get the lines off.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by tech
I normally use 90 degree needle nose pliers to get the lines off.
The one is really stuck i have tried the pliers and I also made a tool similar to the one Tonys mentioned. I have done research but none of the suggestions seem to work on this one. So I think my only way to go about it is to cut it off at the fuel line. Thank for your help.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:22 AM
Administrator

If you cut it off that might create some trouble for you. The fuel line is hard plastic. So making something to go back on safely is harder.
Also make sure when you grab the line you are compressing the outer sleeve on the end of the coupler. That is what releases the coupler.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by tech
If you cut it off that might create some trouble for you. The fuel line is hard plastic. So making something to go back on safely is harder.
Also make sure when you grab the line you are compressing the outer sleeve on the end of the coupler. That is what releases the coupler.
I understand how it works. There are a couple connectors just like it on the car that i have already taken off. This on is simply stuck. Anyways today I worked on it somemore and was able to get it off. It is broken and i will not be able to re use it. It looked like the part that you pull up on to release suction at the bottom was jammed inside. So I think that quick releases failed or something. It wouldn't budge and I did try just about everything suggested in the forums.

So now my options are to do a quick fix with some fuel line and hose clamps or to buy a new fuel line. Because it sounds like i cant just replace the quick diconnect. Does the delivery fuel line go from fuel pump to fuel filter?

Old 02-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Administrator

It should go from the pump to the filter if it is the feed line. You might be able to hit the local junk yard and find one. You will have to drop the tank some though. You might also be able to carefully heat up the line with a heat gun and get the coupler to slide off and swap it with a junk yard one.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:00 PM

I had the same problem as well. I just used the claw of a hammer to remove it. Just hooked it under the connector and pried it up. Didn't take too much force either!

Old 05-02-2015, 03:05 PM

I am having the same problem with the connector with the 2 green buttons. No matter what I do the fuel line will not budge. Where is the pic of the tool you mentioned? Any other ideas?

Old 05-03-2015, 07:59 AM

Hey Bill — the phrase in my post above ( Quick connect line removal from fuel pump ) is actually a link. If you click on that, assuming you're logged in, it should take you to the photo. Also, as Tech points out above, it might help to squeeze the connector while you're prying at it. Good luck. It can be a frustrating exercise to get those things off.

Old 10-04-2022, 03:07 PM
Red face Stuck "quick-connect" lines at fuel filter solved

Originally Posted by bluethunder
The one is really stuck i have tried the pliers and I also made a tool similar to the one Tonys mentioned. I have done research but none of the suggestions seem to work on this one. So I think my only way to go about it is to cut it off at the fuel line. Thank for your help.
On a 26 year old 2004 XC70 I suspect original fuel filter would not come off. Issue was rust outside of the O-ring. Rotated freely and buttons pushed in. Just wouldn't come off. Solution was 2 9/16" open end wrenches on nipple between filter and connector. Pulling wrenches apart popped connectors off pretty easily.