Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Need a little wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a little wiring help

I'm finishing a 5 speed conversion. I got almost done, and life got complicated, and the car has now been sitting almost 2 years. In that time, I've lost some papers with notes and stuff I had written down, and I've been searching online for about an hour but keep coming up with dead links and partial info.

I'm trying to wire my reverse lights, and the neutral switch. All I can find is info on putting a jumper wire in the plug, but I cut the plug off long ago and I've just got a bunch of wires. I don't have the wiring diagram, unfortunately.

I seem to recall something about a green wire, and a green/grey wire, and maybe a blue and a blue/grey. I don't know.

Does anybody know offhand what the wire colors are for the reverse switch, and neutral?

Also, this is for a '98 V70. That forum is pretty much a black hole, given the similarity to the 850, which is why I'm posting here. I'm assuming the wiring is the same for the trans, but if not maybe somebody can enlighten me.

Any input appreciated

Old 04-25-2017, 02:21 PM

I think I might have finally found it, but reading wiring diagrams is not something I'm entirely confident in. Somebody check/verify this for me please.

First pic is the reverse lights. Seems simple enough. I'm going to want to run the blue and the blue/grey to my reverse swtich, yes?

Second pic is the PNP switch, and that's a little more challenging for me. I assume the number next to the wire color is the individual socket number in the plug, right? I don't have the plug though, so that makes it difficult. It looks to me like I want the green and green/red, and just connect them together. There's 2 green wires in that bundle though, and I seem to recall one being thicker than the other. Is there some indication of wire gauge in that diagram that tells me which I want to use?

Any thoughts appreciated

Name:  wiring2_zpslprnspuw.png
Views: 448
Size:  107.4 KB

Name:  wiring1_zpshpaitfxa.png
Views: 424
Size:  65.7 KB

Last edited by mudpie; 04-25-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:51 PM

Don't make it more difficult than it needs to be. You only care about 4 wires in that entire auto transmission harness.

Green, Green/Red, Blue, Blue/White.

Solder and crimp the Green and Green/Red together.

Extend the Blue and Blue/White to the reverse switch plug or make your own plug and put it on top of the reverse switch and you are DONE.

wiring

Last edited by tryingbe; 04-27-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:17 PM

That's what I ended up with, but wanted to make sure. Of the multiple green wires in the harness, I assumed the thickest of them was the one I want. Hope to fire the car up today, so I suppose I'll find out.
Thanks

Old 04-28-2017, 09:57 PM

If the engine crank fast and doesn't sounds like it's getting compression, pour a little oil into each cylinders.