Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

New here, considering an 850 Wagon, Some questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 01:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mackguy
OK, good to know. That would definitely be something to check if I proceed with this idea. What do these sell for in decent shape? I can't find any others for sale!

I don't think it's a turbo, wouldn't it have a badge on the back if it is?

Got it last November. I had been looking to build next to the house, but this came up cheaper than just a new shell, and had the lift, compressor, tire stuff, and some misc other enhancements. Low ceiling area to the right is an office with full bathroom that I set up my weights in, and a little lounge area.

OMG, the ultimate man-cave!! Where do you live? When can we come over?

Doubt that car you're looking at is a turbo but just look under the hood; if it's there, it will be hiding under the heat shield on the back of the engine.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:48 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Good eye, it was a cut and paste from a push rod example of a hydraulic lifter.

Kyle17428, In your world is a hydraulic lifter in an overhead cam operated differently than a hydraulic lifter in a push rod engine ??

I was addressing you saying the lifter wasn't pressurized. You were wrong, it is pressurized by oil to self adjust to make up for any slack or clearance it finds between the surface of the cam and the end of the valve stem.

Using your strength to say the lifters spring is what takes up the clearance is well, naive. The spring inside the lifter will easily collapse when run without the oil pressure as the valve springs tension is so much greater.

Don't take my word for it, search wiki or a cam manufacturers site to see if you can come up with one authoritative source saying the lifters spring is what is used for the self adjusting feature and I'd gladly pull my comments as an apology.

Mackguy, Is that your RX-7 and what do you have under the hood ???
I'd give almost anything to have that kind of room to work in.

Attached Thumbnails New here, considering an 850 Wagon, Some questions-83-rx-7-hood-off.jpg   New here, considering an 850 Wagon, Some questions-drivers-side-rx-7.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2014, 03:02 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As for the turbo, might have a badge right next to the "850" on the back but I pulled mine. It should have "Turbo" molded into the air filter housing as the trubo and non turbo use different air filter housings. I'm pretty sure but not positive the covers don't interchange.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gdog
OMG, the ultimate man-cave!! Where do you live? When can we come over?

Doubt that car you're looking at is a turbo but just look under the hood; if it's there, it will be hiding under the heat shield on the back of the engine.
I'm in North Carolina, bit of a drive for you it looks like.

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog

Mackguy, Is that your RX-7 and what do you have under the hood ???
I'd give almost anything to have that kind of room to work in.
It's a 79, run it in SCCA so under the hood is "stock" mostly. Some prep work but the class is fairly restrictive.