Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Noisy Lifters --> (Now With Sound)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 06:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noisy Lifters --> (Now With Sound)

OK my car is running again after been torn apart for maintenance for the past 4 weeks or so. After I started it I noticed that the Lifters are really noisy. They were not noisy before i did the maintenance, The car has run for maybe 2 minutes total before I shut it off.

Is it possible that there some how can be a blockage in an oil line or something that feeds the lifters?

I replaced the oil pump gasket and O Ring , and the base pan plug was out for a few days so there was absolutly no oil in the car for a while and what ever was in there drained out.

any ideas on what may be causing this noise?

Thanks
-Mike

Old 10-23-2006, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Noisy Lifters

It is considered normal for lifters to be a bit noisy for the first few minutes after startup, especially if the car is sitting a while. It is even stated in the owners manual. The car is building up oil pressure. Make sure not to exceed 3000 rpm until the noise disappears.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:38 PM

with that being said I assume thjere's no check valve in the oil feeed to the lifters and it all drains back to the basepan...

I'll give it another shot later on and let it run a bit longer!

I am going to be careful because I think the noise is as little excessive!

Old 10-24-2006, 12:07 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Mr. MikeySq,

Greetings from freezing Chicagoland again, hope you're doing well.

In regard to the lifter noise, my 850 gets it too right after start up, so I let it idle until it quiets down, or until the coolant temp gauge begins to rise (By the time the temp gauge begins to rise, the noise is gone). Even though fuel + emissions control systems have dramatically changed over the last 20 years, the basic theory on reciprocating engines have not changed much. Since my 850 has a turbocharger, I let it idle a bit longer to warm up the oil and give the turbine bearing a sufficient amount of warm oil. Well, this is up to argument, some say you can drive slowly immediately after start up, but I am prejudiced and do not like to start driving without idling for a couple of minutes. Some may say this is waste of fuel, so whatever feels comfortable is what I do.

How about the oil filter? What brand are you using? I wouldn't use generic brands' filters (e.g. cheap filters), I'd stick to Mann or Volvo filters (Volvo filters are made by Mann anyway, so you might want to go with Mann). The reason behind it is that Mann filter has a check valve, while other brands may not. Whenever possible, I use OEM parts unless there is a better aftermarket parts. In automotive maintenance, the old adage "You get what you pay for" definitely applies.

What oil do you use? I like to use Valvoline synthetic blend 10W-30. If your 850 is a turbo model, you might want to stay away from 5W-30, as the oil may be too thin for turbine operation. I'd probably switch to full synthetic from the next oil change. I work on airplanes at O'Hare Airport, and jet (turbine) engine oils are all full synthetic. Jet engines are pretty much scale-up versions of automotive turbochargers, so why not go with the same type of oil? However, if your 850 is not a turbo model, conventional oil is good enough.

For experts: Please correct me if I'm wrong in some of my opinions.

Some of the knowledge came from Bay-13, Volvospeed at following URL:

http://www.volvospeed.com/

Good luck,

JPN

Old 10-25-2006, 12:57 AM

Thanks for the Reply JPN!

here it is does this sound likle yours??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP4HPMbwU04

OK I seem to worry a bit too much too soon sometimes, when i first posted this my engine wasn't running for a month prior to starting it then. It has sence quieted down some after it warms up, I'll have to take notice of the sound after a cold start tomorrow!

I have already purchased the oil sump O Ring kit from FCP groton so when I get a chance I'll do that job and I hope it helps out a bit.

Right now I am using Fram filter, it was all that was available when I picked up an oil filter. I don't know where I can get a mann filter up here in canada and I have yet to check how much a filter is at the local indapendant volvo garage. I am using Regular 10W30 Dino Juice, I don't think I'm Going to switch to synth, for reasons I don't want to spring a leak in the rear crank seal, that would be a bitch, and I don't think I want the added expense, I believe regular higher frequency changes with dyno juice is OK. The turbos we have on these were designed for operation with conventional oil so I don't see that it would be a requirement, don't get me wrong I'm not denying the fact that it's a better product, i'm just saying that I prefer the old stuff.

I know there's lots of similarities between a turbine engine and a turbo but one big difference is the engineering that is in the latest turbines is crazy and they're designed with the propreties of synthetic lubricants and i'd say that's that's why it's a requirement in those

but turbines like the one in this pic I doubt used synthetic oil heh heh, maybe that's why it's on the ground haha(no that's not why tho, lol)

Name:  turbine.jpg
Views: 1511
Size:  189.1 KB

Old 10-25-2006, 01:08 AM

IPD and FCP groton both sell Mann filters.

Old 10-25-2006, 01:43 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello again Mr. MikeySq,

Greetings from windy Chicagoland.

I checked out the link, and was shocked to hear the noise. Mine isn't quite as loud, it's more like clicking noise. I wonder if the noise is actually coming from the lash adjuster, or from somewhere else. I cannot determine without actually taking a look at it, may be more experienced technicians could tell you a better diagnosis. It may be worth paying $50-$100 for a local Volvo dealer (or independent shops that specialize in Volvos only) for a diagnosis.

As far as the oil is concerned, I believe it is perfectly fine to go with conventional 10W-30, as long as it's a brand name product (Mobil, Valvoline, Castrol, etc...). Turbocharger needs to be TLCed, so 3,000miles/3-5 months interval should be followed. I noticed, however, that synthetic oil seems to stay on metal surface better than conventional oil. When I open a can of jet oil, I have difficulty wiping off my can opener because the oil wants to stay on metal surface. Well, whatever you feel comfortable is usually the best choice, so conventional 10W-30 is right for you.

Please check the following URL for Mann filter, it's FCP Groton. Someone mentioned that Groton's newer web page is better, but I'd prefer this page, because this page usually has exactly what I need, and the new page seems to be the same database that other guys use as well. Anyway, here's that:

http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo850tuneup.htm

B5234T engine is horrible when it comes to oil leak. I have minor seepage from oil cooler line, not from the turbo return line which is common, but from other line. The hose is about $90, so I'll keep checking the oil level (the leak is only about a few drops overnight).

Good luck and stay warm.

Best regards,

JPN (Originally from Yokohama, Japan)

Old 10-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Leave it run for a while.
Also Volvo/OEM has a check valve in it to help with Drain back issues.

Old 10-29-2006, 02:44 AM

yeah thanks guys the ticking has gone... seems to be fine

Yeah I think i'll get a few mann filters the next time i make an order with groton

Old 12-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Here are some instructions I put together for lifter replacement:

Lifter Replacement, Volvo 850 / S70 Turbo