Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Non turbo upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non turbo upgrades?

Hi,

I was wondering if there were some reasonably cheap and easy things I could do to help out my non-turbo 850. I did the search and discovered not too much can be done with the engine, [ looks like simply buying a turbo car is the normal answer..] but how about some other things I could add on from other cars/models, to improve my cars handling and appearance. I regularly troll the junkyards and have access to cheap parts... any upgrade pieces I could snag from a turbo version as an upgrade? Better brakes.. suspension bits... something nicer looking than regular steel wheels... etc.? Any suggestions would be great. Cheers, Mike

Old 05-24-2010, 09:37 PM

I think you have hit most of it on the head already. Wheels will change the look. You can get some suspension upgrades. IPD is a good place to start. I'd avoid bigger brakes since you will have the same engine performance anyways. For a real performance upgrade I don't think you can look past buying a turbo car. If you want to keep yours, do a stage zero to get it running as best as it can stock.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by vpatrol
I think you have hit most of it on the head already. Wheels will change the look. You can get some suspension upgrades. IPD is a good place to start. I'd avoid bigger brakes since you will have the same engine performance anyways. For a real performance upgrade I don't think you can look past buying a turbo car. If you want to keep yours, do a stage zero to get it running as best as it can stock.
+1 You're absolutely right, sure you can make anything fast with the right amount of money, but it's really not worth it in your n/a

Old 05-25-2010, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the replies. Yes, this is going to be the wife's car for work [so "looks" will be the most important thing to her... I'm more into the performance end of things.. **LOL**] , so if I can eventually find and turbo version [fwd or rwd...], I'll look into grabbing that one and doing the mods to it. BTW.. is either FWD or RWD better..... any advantage to running one form over the other? I prefer Rear Wheel Drive myself... Thanks for your input. Cheers, Mike PS... will all Volvo rims interchange or must I stick with FWD for this car?