Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

NOOB to Volvo

Old 08-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOOB to Volvo

I just purchased a '95 Volvo 850 Turbo for my daughters first car. I wanted something safe for her to drive and reliable. Knock on wood, we found a decent car for her!

Couple of things -
[ol][*]Lights for gear selector do not work - is that a hard thing to fix? I figured I would pick up a Haynes manual and hope it describes how to take the console apart.[*]Window on passenger side will go down most of the way, but not all the way. Leaves about an inch up and makes a clunk when it bottoms out. Is it hard to take the door panel off?[*]Turbo gauge quick working all the sudden. Turbo is working fine, just not the gauge. I was messing around under the hood last night, could I have disconnected something??[/ol]
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 08-15-2007, 12:47 PM
Default RE: NOOB to Volvo

Don't worry about the turbo gauge too much. It doesn't tell you much of anything at all. If you are really worried about it, you can buy an aftermarket gauge for fairly cheap, but usually people buy them when they are looking to add PSI (boost).

Old 08-15-2007, 01:18 PM

ORIGINAL: GearHeadKS

I just purchased a '95 Volvo 850 Turbo for my daughters first car. I wanted something safe for her to drive and reliable. Knock on wood, we found a decent car for her!

Couple of things -
[ol][*]Lights for gear selector do not work - is that a hard thing to fix? I figured I would pick up a Haynes manual and hope it describes how to take the console apart.[*]Window on passenger side will go down most of the way, but not all the way. Leaves about an inch up and makes a clunk when it bottoms out. Is it hard to take the door panel off?[*]Turbo gauge quick working all the sudden. Turbo is working fine, just not the gauge. I was messing around under the hood last night, could I have disconnected something??[/ol]

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
1. I've never done it, but I'd asume it's just a matter of taking the center console out and replacing the LEDs. IT shouldn't be that hard, since it's a matter of just taking out the bolts and screws...But it there are those clip in screws, be careful and don't break them. Like I said, I haven't donea Volvo so I don't know much of the specifics.
2. Not that hard to take off the door panel. The biggest problem I had was that my leather insert got snapped in half as I was prying it...Luckily, it was the middle one, so I don't have anything hanging, but be careful about that. I'll go see if I can hunt down the instructions I used to remove the door panel.

Edit: Here's the link I promised you. Let me know if you need more help.
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index...p;#entry868532
3. Don't know, but the stock one isn't known to be extrememly accurate.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:41 PM

Thanks!

Old 08-15-2007, 05:21 PM

Let us know how it goes.

Especially the center console, I actually need to replace some lights too...

Old 08-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

I bought the same car for my son's first car. I too had to fix the console lights as well as several switch lights and a few other things. Changing the console bulb is not too hard. In fact, you do not have to remove the entire console, just lift the back end enough to access the bulb. The bulb is in a special socket and comes only as a unit. The dealer had it for about $20[] I just went to Radio shack and found a similar one for $3.

Good luck,

Glenn

Old 08-16-2007, 09:07 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Greetings, welcome to the forum!

1) It is not a difficult repair, but you must be careful not to exert too much force or something will crack. Be sure to have various sizes of Torx bits. You can perhaps find the same light bulbs at Radio Shack, etc... Be sure to grab a Haynes manual, as it will save you some $ on labour.

This is for S70, but I assume 850 is similar.
http://volvospeed.com/Repair/SV70console.php

2) Attachment deleted.

3) The rubber hose that connects to the back of the gauge may have fallen off.

I hope this helps.

JPN