Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

OAK TREE vs 850- please advise

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OAK TREE vs 850- please advise

Hey gang,

a neighbor of mine is the original owner of a 1996 n/a 850 5 SPEED. attached is a picture.

I Have had my eye on it for years, because its a 5 speed, and thought it would make a nice donor if it was ever for sale,

well this week it met its match from an Oak Tree. The tree also took out a 2002 Boxster.

So I spoke with the owners about figuring out what to do. The car was evidently in top running shape and is pretty darn good shape, cloth seats- no sunroof.

All the glass is good, and everything worked perfect except the radio. The hood is ruined, as the front fender, grill, bumper- etc..

So what do you guys think? The edmunds value is from $700 trade-in, to $1500 dealer retail. Does anyone needs some parts? What would a salvage yard give for one of these? Would Erie Volvo want it? Anyone need a good NA motor.

All I want are the parts for the Manual Transmission swap, and then I need to get rid of the car, wife will not tolerate another carcass at the house.

What would you guys do? I have a 1996 T5 with a brand new head (and head gasket) begging for a MT swap that I could probably get to some time in the next year.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails OAK TREE vs 850- please advise-downsize.jpg  
Old 04-14-2011, 10:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id try to get it for cheap get the stuff to do the swap, and sell the rest off

Old 04-15-2011, 12:52 AM

Id sell all the swap parts to me for 20 bucks. =)

Old 04-15-2011, 04:49 AM

I'd offer 500 bucks for everything. Any machine that has been jolted with such force isn't something I would not want to spend money on. It's like buying a plasma TV that somebody dumped off a 2nd story window. Just dosent sit well with me in particular...

Old 04-16-2011, 08:18 AM

So my mechanic doesn't need/want any of the parts. The salvage yard he deals with told me pay $100 and haul it off. They said they drop the motor and transmission, and would drop it out for me. Erie Volvo said there was nothing valuable enough worth shipping to them. So anybody else need anything?- besides the MT swap parts. Anything else I need form a NA? I have heard the throttle body is larger?

Thanks,

Justin

Old 04-16-2011, 12:23 PM

id probably take the tail lights if they are ok, did it have a cd changer?

Old 04-16-2011, 12:48 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

$250 Trashed. I would be concerned about the tranny because it was smashed under the hood.

Last edited by rspi; 07-09-2011 at 08:23 AM. Reason: correction
Old 07-06-2011, 10:41 PM
Default UPDATE! I got the car

Hey everyone, I did get this car, and it doesn't look too bad. Looks like another 850 will be getting a manual. The Swedish Steel held up pretty good, plus the tree hit the street to break some of the fall. The hood opened right up. I am currently charging the battery, and will start it up to move around, before I can take off the parts. I enclosed a few pictures for fun. If anyone needs some parts, let me know- I'll post it in the classified section too.

Thanks guys.

Attached Thumbnails OAK TREE vs 850- please advise-102small.jpg   OAK TREE vs 850- please advise-103-small.jpg   OAK TREE vs 850- please advise-107-small.jpg   OAK TREE vs 850- please advise-117-small.jpg  
Old 07-06-2011, 11:16 PM

Throttle body is bigger (get the 960 throttle plate to go with it) and IIRC the intake manifold will work on your car too. Double check on VS if it's the right year range to work. Should flow better then the turbo manifold. If you really want to dig into the engine, you can also swap in the N/A cams.

Congrats on getting the car for the Swap. Having a donor car makes the job so much easier.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:27 AM

Thanks Matt- I didn't know there was advantage to the intake manifold too, but had seen the the Throttle body was bigger, but needed a spacer- may not need the spacer if using the NA TB? That would be a down the road project- My first goal is to get ervything I may need off this car and then get it hauled off ASAP- I know I'd be nice to swap side by side, but that just can't happen- I plan to take lots of picture/video and hopefully that will help.

I'm sure I'll be asking you more specific questions when I get closer to swap time!

Old 07-09-2011, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by jnduke
Thanks Matt- I didn't know there was advantage to the intake manifold too, but had seen the the Throttle body was bigger, but needed a spacer- may not need the spacer if using the NA TB? That would be a down the road project- My first goal is to get ervything I may need off this car and then get it hauled off ASAP- I know I'd be nice to swap side by side, but that just can't happen- I plan to take lots of picture/video and hopefully that will help.

I'm sure I'll be asking you more specific questions when I get closer to swap time!
You can use a spacer or just port the turbo intake manifold to give clearance for the throttle plate to open.
If your not using a RIP then SNABB makes a great silicone hose specifically made for the bigger N/A Throttle body.
NA Throttle Body Hose for Turbos 93-97 850

Like I said though, double check to make sure the N/A manifold will work. if it will work, then no, it will be a direct swap.

When I did the swap, I pulled the parts at my house then took the parts into my buddies shop where we did the swap. It's really not all that hard, just time consuming to make sure everything's done properly.

Tech has a great walkthrough that's stickied to the top of the 850 subsection. if you run into trouble, just about everything you may need to know is answered in there. Also there is some good info on Volvospeed.

Good luck with everything!!!