Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

oil drain plug leak - fixed

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil drain plug leak - fixed

I have had a leaky oil drain plug since I took over this car. It has been making a mess of my driveway. Tried all sorts of fixes. ( over tightening, silicone sealant, paint, etc).
Today, I removed the oil and had a good look at the oil drain hole. Here is a picture.
I have determined that the surface is not square to the drain plug and does not seem to have been polished in any way. So, the crush gasket was getting twisted as I tightened it.
I made a soft gasket with gasket material, put that next to the pan , then the crush washer and tightened to 26 ft-lbs.
No more leak. Oh joy.
Any one have ideas on how I could properly resurface the the drain hole?
Txs

Attached Thumbnails oil drain plug leak - fixed-jim_drain_plug_hole.jpg  
Old 05-19-2014, 08:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like someone installed a heli-coil a bit sideways.

Best bet would be to replace it with a JY oil pan (just make sure the drain plug is not stripped out first..).

Old 05-20-2014, 11:30 PM
BFR

Installing a new nylon crush washer was sufficient to stop my chronic, and annoying, leak in this area. Common trouble spot on these cars. Consider a new washer mandatory at each oil change with these vehicles. Problem is people over think it and then alter the drain plug hole with a heli-coil or what not.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:07 AM

I really don't think that someone has put in a heli coil in my pan. I think it is a factory defect. At any rate, do you remember where you sourced the nylon crush washers? What size are they? also did you use the metal crush washer as well?
Txs
Jim

Old 05-22-2014, 03:14 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Any auto parts store, amazon, ebay, hardware store and I think walmart might carry some too.

M18 --> Dorman Products - Search Results

Volvo Oil Drain Plug Magnetic - Economy 982547 | FCP Euro

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...uestion-68232/

Using the metal with the plastic ?? I don't know if that's a good idea or bad. Depends on how big and smooth the flange on the plug is. If it already covers most of the gasket it's likely best to just go with the plastic alone.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 05-22-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:18 PM
BFR

Originally Posted by jocoman
I really don't think that someone has put in a heli coil in my pan. I think it is a factory defect. At any rate, do you remember where you sourced the nylon crush washers? What size are they? also did you use the metal crush washer as well?
Txs
Jim

I think there's a thread with a part number floating around here somewhere if you do a search. But you'll get crushed with shipping if you order it on line and my auto parts store didn't have it. So they looked up my vehicle on the computer and gave me a set of nylon washers that supposedly would work. Guess how that turned out? LOL!

After going back to the store with the drain plug on trip number 2, I just bought one of those little nylon washer kits that contained one which actually fit. That's worked fine for me.

So you can search the threads and find the PN and see if your auto parts store has it, or take your plug to the auto parts store and get a kit of nylon washers that has your size. I guess another alternative would be the dealer but that is probably unnecessary.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:24 AM

Thanks everyone...
I wish the search engine was a little better so I could find these references myself.
Maybe I am not doing it right.
How do you search for multiple key words that are all in the topic/thread?
J.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:24 AM
BFR

Kiss posted all you need to know. He posted around the time I did so I didn't see his post before I wrote mine. Be advised though that my store didn't have the Dorman gasket despite showing it as available online. Call first!