Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

oil question

Old 02-17-2010, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil question

i recently cleaned out some oil out of the piping from the turbo going over the motor to the front of the engine. Is this normal or could it have resulted from over filling the oil, faulty PCV system, etc.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

Do you mean the Turbo ducting? By your description it sounds like you have a RIP. The oil that ends up in the turbo and makes its way through the ducting is making it by the PCV system. Actually, no matter what you do you will get some oil that makes its way through the system.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by boxpin
Do you mean the Turbo ducting? By your description it sounds like you have a RIP. The oil that ends up in the turbo and makes its way through the ducting is making it by the PCV system. Actually, no matter what you do you will get some oil that makes its way through the system.

RIP meaning ?

also could this be a sign of me having to replace the PCV system

Old 02-18-2010, 08:38 AM

here what i got googling, i think this might a result of the PCV system but im just guessing

Remove intake tubes and wash out oil. Re-install and run engine for short period. Remove intake tube and see whether oil is traveling from turbo to cylinder or visa versa. Oil in the exhaust system upstream of the turbocharger indicates malfunction such as problems with rings, pistons, or valves. If engine idles too slow, turbo does not turn allowing oil to leak from compressor seal. Leak in compressor seal can be caused by:

(a) air cleaner element clogged or restriction in duct between air cleaner and turbocharger which can cause oil to be drawn past the turbocharger seal at the compressor end,
(b) restriction or faulty check valve in turbocharger oil drain line, which may raise the oil level in the turbocharger center housing and cause seal leakage,
(c) malfunction in oil scavenge pump,
(d) restriction in engine crankcase breather,
(e) worn or damaged compressor wheel,
(f) turbocharger shaft bearings or bearing bores worn,
(g) crankcase pressurization causing backpressure into oil drain line due to piston blowby.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

RIP is a reversed intercooler. The factory path enters the intercooler from the bottom and out the top. It used to be from the top to the bottom but from what I heard it was recalled due to oil getting in the intercooler. With it entering the bottom the oil sits at the bottom and the intercooler has a small hole in the bottom to let that oil out. Anyway, from the way you said it, it sounded like you had this configuration where the line leaving the turbo comes right over the engine into the intercooler in the front.

(G) My last motor had a major oil leak problem. The compression was low and my assumption was that I had blowby. I had a lot of oil making its way through the turbo and into the intercooler due to crankcase pressure. In addition to that I had oil coming out of just about every point where two metal surfaces met. Meaning oil was coming out of the pan chemical gasket and mid block. I pulled the pan and resealed it to no avail. A lot of work went into it but it did not help. I ended up blowing the head gasket but waited to long to pull the head which rusted the cylinders. Since then I have replaced the engine with the engine from a T-5R and all my issues are gone.(see my gallery)
Now that my novel is over, some oil will make its way through the system. Determining if its more than normal is the hard part.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:34 AM

the oil in the pipe was minimal i assume its nothing but i was just curious, also just for clarity RIP enters bottom and exits top?

Old 02-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

A RIP would enter from the top and exit the bottom.

Stock enters from the bottom and exits the top.

http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-850/Perf...p-72-143-1849/