Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

One know how to reset the puter????

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 06:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One know how to reset the puter????

Ok, its been about two months now at this point I just want the damn thing to start once and drive the hell out of my garage .... j/k But here's the deal. I took the ...head (i guess) off the top off the motor and my cams moved, well i didnt know they did until i had it all back togethor and tried to start it. But now I have everything aligned up (i hope) and i remember someone telling me that the spoeed sensor or computer somewhere had to be reset in order for it to allow the motor to start. sooo.. any ideas? thank for the help

Old 05-19-2007, 09:39 AM
Default RE: One know how to reset the puter????

Disconnect the battery for 15 minutes. That should reset the ECU...

Old 05-19-2007, 09:44 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Be sure to have your radio code. Because you will need it if you disconnect the battery.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:48 AM

^Yeah, call the dealer, and they will give you the radio code after you give them your car's VIN.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:50 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi,

The engine will start even without resetting it, but the idle would be unstable. To make the ECU re-learn correct idle, let the engine idle with ALL electrical load turned off, and keep idling for 5-10 minutes. This may not be the official procedure, but it worked for me.

When you disconnect the battery, be sure to remove the negative cable. This is to avoid accidental short circuit.

Also, before attempting to start the engine, make sure that all connections (electrical wires, hoses/pipes) are back where they were, as well as maintaining the correct fluid levels.

I'm still afraid of the camshaft position. Make sure that they are positioned correctly.

Good luck,

JPN

Old 05-19-2007, 10:41 AM

Well see if disconnecting the battery does the trick.

You shouldn't need to disconnect the position sensor, and I THINK that there is a fuse for it, so you might be able to get away with disconnecting the fuse.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:48 AM

Well the battery has been out of the car for a month now, I put everything back in and made sure everthing was lined up and still the same $*it.!! It's like it turning everything but very weak. as if there is no spark. last time i check the spark at the coil and there wasnt any coming even to that point. what the heck could it be stoping it? when i turn the key it just a real weak sounding egine not even trying to start.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:14 AM
JPN

Sorry about the problem; been there & done that (thought not exactly the same).

Before you do anything else, double-check on the camshaft position; simply aligning the timing marks does not guaranteeit isin the correct position, and the mark may not be pointing at cyl-1 TDC. To make sure, remove the spark plug for cyl-1, insert your finger in the plug hole, turn the crank shaft with a socket & a long breaker bar to see if you can feel pressure when the timing mark on the camshaft gear gets closer to TDC. If you do, the camshaft is at the correct position. However, if you're 100% sure that it's at the correct position, skip this part. But turning the crank shaft with a breaker bar is a good way to see if anything is binding/hitting.

If the battery has been out of the car without being recharged once/2 weeks or so, it may have self-discharged and in such case you need a new battery. I suggest that you either go with a maintenance-free type or regular battery by Interstate Battery. But before spending $100+, try charging the battery on a charger to see if it holds voltage (12.3~12.6V/each cell holds 2.1V), and do a specific gravity test.

Test the ignition coil IAW manual (Haynes, etc...). My Volvo manual states:

TURBO ENGINE:
Primary circuit should be 0.5~1.5Ω,
Secondary is 8,000~9,000Ω

NON-TURBO:
Primary circuit should be 0.5Ω
Secondary is 8,400Ω

I would also like to know what kind of works you've done when you removed the cam cover. What components did you service? This will narrow down the possible problem. Also, please specify the model year and whether it is a turbo or non-turbo.

JPN

Old 05-23-2007, 04:36 AM

Wow! well lets see it is a 93 850 GLT non-turbo. I pulled the cover off cause i was porting the intakemanifold and decided to polish the chome and well befor i knew it . put the the pulleys had been taken off. I had the cam on 1 and i also check the pistin to make sure it was up and the crank mark was on. when i tested the coil i just looked for a spark. but there is deffinatly nothing even coming to the coil. I even put a brand new coil on it. so somewhere before that it is stoping. but i rember that when i would crank it just as i would let off the key a tiny little spark would come out of the coil.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:09 AM
JPN

Hello again,

First, see if you can pull codes from the engine ECU:

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/a2.html

If any code is stored, give us the code and reset/clear the ECU.

Then, refer to the pics I've attached and follow each step. I've circled the steps you need to follow. Note, that this is upon an assumption that everything is back where they were (wires, lines, hoses, tubes & fluids).

Pic-1: Fuse box in the engine compartment on the driver's side.
Replace the fuse I've circled with another fuse of the same rating (15 amp). The easiest thing would be to swap it with fuse #2, which should be the same rating & colour.

Pic-2: Engine test procedure (page-1).

Pic-3:Engine test procedure (page-2)

Pic-4 (Next post): Engine wiring diagram. I've traced the related lines, so check those lines & associated components. Do not overlook small items such as ground connections.

Note, that I'll delete all these pics within the next 7 days, so make sure to save them in your PC.

JPN

Old 05-23-2007, 08:14 AM
JPN

Attachment deleted.

JPN

Old 05-23-2007, 08:17 AM
JPN

Attachment deleted.

JPN