Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Passenger side axle install

Old 11-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger side axle install

After the intense labor of removing the old axle from the spindle (boy that was a snug one), I am installing a new passenger's side axle in my 850. The old one pulled out of the transmission fairly easily, but the new one is not wanting to go in. I saw a thread on here about the same thing and the solution was a bit of lubrication. I have tried that and can't get it to budge.

It has the same number of splines and measures the same diameter. Part of the problem is holding it in line while trying to push, as I can't get the bearing in place until the axle has gone in further. I have experimented with trying to tap the end with a small sledge (this works like a charm for my Toyota) but I am afraid I'll bang up the CV joints, and holding in line while tapping is fairly difficult.

I've also done a lot of jiggling while pushing. I can feel that the splines are lined up, it's just not slipping in.

Does anybody have other tricks or considerations?

Thanks.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

Man I dont know what to tell you. I pushed mine out with a impact and when it was time to put them back in all it took was a little wiggle. I did grease them up though. Once the threads come through the other side the nut takes over. Sounds like you dont get to that part. Hopefully someone else will have some advice.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:27 PM

Well here is the exciting conclusion. Big sledge hammer. I got the splines lined up, tied the axle up so it was more or less in line with where it was going, and compressed the CV joints as much as possible (I worry about banging on those) and tapped the end with a bigger sledge than I had been using. It didn't seem like it was going, but when I looked at the seal I had moved it some. Just kept hitting it until it was seated. Going into the spindle was easy as pie. I had cleaned it out real good with engine cleaner and a wire brush.

I hope I'm not the one that has to take that axle out.