Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Performance question: ECU vs other stuff

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 10:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Performance question: ECU vs other stuff

So I am finally at a point where im ready to start adding some power to my car. Stage zero stuff is complete, got some gauges, got my exhaust, MSD ignition, N/A cams, white injectors, air intake, brakes, etc.

I know a lot of folks have gone the route of upgrading the turbo and running a MBC, etc, but I'm wondering if it isnt just easier to get the RICA or IPD tune on the ECU.

I know that both put you in the high 200/low 300 hp range, and I think i could reasonably expect to see a bit more than that, given the N/A cams, ignition, and injectors.

is there a reason to NOT to the reflash, and do the turbo upgrade, etc, instead? I'm really not looking to go past the low 300 hp range at this point in time....at least not until i do a manual trans swap.

Also, on the RICA tune, can they custom tune it for the cams, injectors, etc, or is it just a basic tune?

Thanks in advance for the input, all.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ibified
So I am finally at a point where im ready to start adding some power to my car. Stage zero stuff is complete, got some gauges, got my exhaust, MSD ignition, N/A cams, white injectors, air intake, brakes, etc.

I know a lot of folks have gone the route of upgrading the turbo and running a MBC, etc, but I'm wondering if it isnt just easier to get the RICA or IPD tune on the ECU.

I know that both put you in the high 200/low 300 hp range, and I think i could reasonably expect to see a bit more than that, given the N/A cams, ignition, and injectors.

is there a reason to NOT to the reflash, and do the turbo upgrade, etc, instead? I'm really not looking to go past the low 300 hp range at this point in time....at least not until i do a manual trans swap.

Also, on the RICA tune, can they custom tune it for the cams, injectors, etc, or is it just a basic tune?

Thanks in advance for the input, all.
You don't pick between one or the other. You get the ecu upgrade BECAUSE you put on a larger turbo. Injectors don't add power, they allow for the car to handle more power delivering more fuel. The ignition also does not add any power either, same as the injectors, allows for more power. The injectors are also pointless if you don't reflash the ecu for the larger injectors.

You start putting on a bigger turbo that's pushing more air and you can't compensate it with the larger injectors because you don't have a tune for it is when you risk running lean and bending rods. Hence why I'm only doing ~8psi on my 19T right, I'm still running the stock tune. Once I have a tune for the 19T and white injectors, I'll be running about 18 psi.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:16 AM

Thanks Gilber...And see, that kinda brings me to another question. The RICA tune and IPD tune dont seem to be customizable for a bigger turbo, injectors, cams, etc. That being said, if they cant tune for that, how DO you get a tune for it? I don't really plan on going much past the low 300s, as i said, and if just the ECU will get me there, spending a lot of money on a bigger turbo just seems like a waste of money to me. I havent installed the white injectors yet, but I have them. If i can't get a tune for them I wont bother. I just got them because, as you said, I wouldnt want to run the risk of running lean if im adding additional boost.

And yes,m I completely understand what you are saying about the injectors and ignition allowing you to run more fuel and more spark to ALLOW for more power - thats why I got them. I want to make sure that I'm getting what I am paying for.

Last edited by ibified; 12-15-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:21 AM

They make custom maps all the time. They're not going to be available online because the combination of engines and parts are going to be never ending. You need to call them and speak with them and they build one for you.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:32 AM

gotcha. thanks. I will do that. Honestly, I think that once I have the ECU flash, I'll probably be done with engine performance stuff. I want more power, but i think adding around 100 hp will be enough for me. I still use this car as a year round daily driver, so i cant go THAT stupid with the power, as much as I would like to.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:41 AM

Unless you're putting on a bigger turbo, whites won't be necessary and you'll still be running the stage one tune that they offer on the site.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:35 PM

Good to know. thanks again Gilber.