Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

pulled engine,tranny and ABS codes...help pls!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pulled engine,tranny and ABS codes...help pls!

So i decided to see if the car had any codes stored...here's what i got:

A1 Transmission codes:
1-1-4 open.closed short curcuit for prog. selecter ???
2-2-3 off scale low tps
3-1-3 faulty signal for pnp

So i then proceeded to reset..and when i did i thought i heard a clicking noise in the throttle body area..like the butterfly opened and closed??
checked and codes are now gone..

A2 Engine
3-4-3 fuel pump relay faulty
reset and codes are cleared

A3

2-1-1 no LF wheel signal for moving off
2-1-3 no LR wheel signal for moving off
2-1-4 no right wheel signal for moving off
4-2-4 pressure switch for TRACS faulty or shorted
1-4-2 stop lamp switch faulty

reset codes and they cleared BUT not i have the ABS light on on the dash??? WTF???

can it be a switch or a fuse that has blown???
any advice would be great..thanks
fabs

Old 01-18-2009, 09:12 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: pulled engine,tranny and ABS codes...help pls!

If you have not driven it yet the light might stay on till you drive it.

I would wait an see how fast the codes come back.If they do.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:27 AM

Hey Tech, no i did not drive it yet...i will take it for a spin and see what happens...i'll keep you guys posted...it's funny, i didn't have all this abs problems when i had the all season toyo's this summer? only after i put on the winters...very strange..well maybe the codes where in there but it's the first time i see them..
as for the TPS..is there something i should do to clean it? can this problem have cause poor gas milage? thanks
fabs

TEMP IN MONTREAL TODAY...-20 C....WITH WINDCHILL...-32C

Old 01-18-2009, 10:06 AM

so i took the car out of the garage...and once i started driving the ABS light went off...there is a light snow on the ground the abs and trac control are having a field day....i think these tires i got are either garbage or maybe there is something wrong with them? or maybe i need an alignment? I will see the garage that sold them to me on monday..i had better traction with the caprice (RWD) with the bridgstone duelers on them!
fabs

Old 01-18-2009, 01:32 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

HMMM If the TPS code comes back you might want to replace it.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:10 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

TRANNY:
If the same codes do not return, no worries. These electronic self-diagnostic pick up codes for negligible reasons once a while (even passenger-airplanes do that all the time). Make sure that the fluid is clear red and does not have burnt odor. Also make sure to keep the correct fluid level.

ENGINE:
I would follow Tech. You may also want to replace the fuel pump relay, as it is known to go bad. Unless it was replaced recently, I would put a new one in.

ABS:
What year is your 850? If 96/97, you can ship it out to this guy for repair & upgrade:
http://home.earthlink.net/~vicrocha/

If, however, it is 1995 or earlier model, you would have it fix it yourself. This post may be of a ref: https://volvoforums.com/m_58856/tm.htm

Please note, that there are 2 different casings for the ABS module; plastic & metal.

The beauty of electronics is, once something goes wrong no one can figure out the exact cause, including the people who designed it.

JPN

Old 01-18-2009, 10:21 PM

Hey JPN how are you?
ya i filled up the tranny fluid..in between the upper and lower markings. Since doing so it hasn't happened (flashing arrow)..the only thing i notice is that when the shifter leaves park the light will flash for a spilt second and go away..this usually happens when it's cold outside..once the engine is warmed up it doesn't do it anymore..I will verify the fluid again, i may do a flush, it's a little dark but doesn't smell burnt.

After i reset all the codes, i was driving around for most of the day and i just got in now (about 11 hours later) and i just checked to see if any of the codes came back and it's all good.

I think that the ABS is kicking in cause the tires i have, i find, are not that great, i'm gonna bring my car to the garage i got them at to check them out...i notice that there is a "howling" long when driving and turning the steering wheel to the right...can the tires be slanted in a bit? i do hop onto the sidewalk a bit at work.
thanks
fabs