Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

rattling from my rear wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rattling from my rear wheels

Hi all,

I am having a weird problem with my 95 850 wagon (non-turbo). When I am driving on a dirt or bumpy road I hear rattling coming from my rear wheels. I dont think it is affecting the way it drives but I have only had it for 2 months so Im not really sure. I poked all around but can't figure out where it is coming from. Had my BF put it up on jackstands and still cant figure it out. I am going to the mechanic this week for some routine maintence (that as a begginer I cant handle myself )BUT if anyone has any ideas on what it might be and if i might be able to fix it myself that would be GREAT!!!
Thanks in advance!!

Old 06-02-2007, 07:44 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: rattling from my rear wheels

Hi Heidi,

Another greetings from previous Vermonter (Although I did not live there for 3 generations, it is my 2nd home-I actually think of it as my true homelandsince 90% of my friends are still there). I have a friend named Heidi in Vermont, except this Heidi was from Hyde Park, which I believe is about an hour or more east, and she now lives in different state.

As to the noise, are you sure it is coming from the rear wheels, or just the rear (luggage space, exhaust pipe, etc...)? If it is the rear wheels, I assume something on the rear disc brakes is getting loose, most likely the hardware has rusted and may have lost spring tensioner for the rear brake pads. But I'm more inclined to think it's the exhaust pipe that has lost or damaged O-Ring hangar and the pope is hitting the underbody. While the wagon is at park (with shifter in park/[1st or R gear for manual tranny] and parking brakes fully set of course) with engine cold, try grabbing the tail pipe and move it up & down + sideways to see if you can regenerate the noise (don't worry, you will not damage anything further by doing this). If you or your BF can do so safely, jack up the wagon; one side at a time, remove the rear wheels and visually inspect for rusted/loose objects. When you do this with the jack that came with the wagon, DO NOT get any part of your body under there; just do a visual inspection and if possible, and I would let your BF do this.

I hope this helps. If a generic shop fails to detect/repair the problem, get an estimate from the dealer; I believe there's only one Volvo dealer in Burlington. If the estimate is in the outer space, which I believe would be, try calling Mr. Jim Sherman at Jim's Imported Car Clinic in Rutland at: 802-747-3407. Jim is THE best automotive technician I know of, and is of course a fully-certified master ASE (Automotive Service Excellence, a professional certificate given to those who have met the national standards). Jim once worked at a Saab dealer (another Swedish auto mfg) and has completed a number of factory trainings. You may not want to drive 1.5 hours, though I think it's worth the drive. GiveJim a call anyway, tell him that you've had a referral from Kanji from Japan; Jim would be happy to give you an estimate over the phone. Currently Jim's shop website is down, as Jim's switching the ISP.

I just used a dealer locater at Volvo North America:
1. Almartin Volvo
85 Executive Drive
Shelburne, VT 05482-6476
Phone: (800) 639-5088Fax: (802) 985-1033
info@almartin.com
www.almartinvolvo.com

Good luck,

Kanji Kotaki/JPN

Old 06-03-2007, 09:32 AM

Thank you Kanji!

It is always nice to meetsomeone who appreciates thisincredible state! Also, thanks for themechanic recomendation. I have had a great experience with avolvo/saab shop inWaterbury called Snowfire Imports. I've only been in there once but it was to fix a pretty major issue I was having with the shifter not locking into park.They did a great job going over everything with me and making sure I understood what was broken and what they were doing to fix it. I will be bringing it there this week but if theyare unable to take careof the problem I will certainlygive yourguy a call

As far as the rattling goes, we did jack it up andwigglethe tailpipe and were not able to recreate the noise. It is most certainly coming from the wheels. The rear right one is definalty worse. The best way I can describel it is a metallic sort of rattle like something is lose. When looking at it yesterday it didnt seem like anything was rusted, but we didnt take the wheels off. When it stops raining (im sure you are familiar with a miserable VT spring drizzle) we will go back and get the wheels off. Where exactly should i be looking for rust/loose parts? Thanks again! I feel like I've struck gold with this site

Old 06-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The 3 things that come to mind with your explination are:
1.Maybe the rear pads are flopping inside the caliper when hitting bumps.

2.Maybe the top rear shock mount is bad causing the noise.

3.Maybe the rear sway bar broke. Can you get the car to make the noise by swinging the car from side to side real fast when driving on a smooth road.(which is usually hard to find in vermont)

I have been there a couple of times. My uncle owns a winter home there he loves to ski.

If the upper shock mount is bad you can usually stand by the wheel well and lift the car slightly and feel it is bad or hear it make noise when you do it.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:15 AM
JPN

Hi Heidi,

Listen to Moderator Tech's suggestions; Tech is the top dog of the forum and is much like Jim in many ways.

As for Tech's 1st suggestion, the rear brake pad holding spring may be rusted over the years in VT. I'll attach a pic on what it looks like; it is just a cross-shaped spring that holds the rear brake pads in place, and the spring is held in place by 2 pins, as you see in the pic. So, when you have a chance, have a shop remove the rear wheel and ask them to see if you can watch while a technician inspects the rear wheel area. Some shops do allow customers in the work area, while others are afraid of their customers getting injured on their own and still try to sue the shop, which I think is sad. Anyway, once the wheel is off, the spring is right there, right on top of the caliper, at about 10-11 O'clock position. If they look fine, the problem is most likely either #2 or #3 in Tech's advice.

I believe Snowfire Imports will be fine for this job, and they probably have worked on a similar symptom for many times due to winter in VT.

>miserable VT spring drizzle
Hey, at least the Mud Season is over (April, that is)! March was extremely frigid this year, wasn't it? (I was in Rutland until March 9, but had to come back to Japan as my work visa was expired; otherwise I would've stayed in the States). Well, I still plan to come back someday.

>I feel like I've struck gold with this site
I felt the same, when I joined the forum last September and Moderator Tech replied to my question within a few hours.

Anyway, work with Snowfire Imports, and they should be able to take care of it. Just bring the copy of this page with you, and let them read it ONLY if they couldn't find the problem after they try. This is to honor their pride as professionals.

Before you go back to them, you may want to check out on the prices on the rear brake components at the following to make sure you're getting decent deal on parts:
http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo.htm#850

FCP Groton sells the same parts as Volvo dealers do (OEM: Original Equipment Manufacturer, who supplied the parts for Volvo's factory when your car was made and OEM parts are usually of the highest quality. FCP Groton sells them at reasonable price, unlike dealers do[8D]).

If you or your BF wants to learn more about technical aspect, this site is another excellent one:
http://volvospeed.com/maintenance.shtml

I wish you the best,

Kanji/JPN

P.S: Tech, couldthis be related to the parking brake components?

1st pic: Rear Brake Pad Retainer (Anti-Rattle) Spring Kit.
2nd: What I miss most about VT.
3rd: Another thing I miss about VT; this is Lake Willoughby, about an hour east of Burlington.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/697CFAE8F2D942F6AB848A65020E8D62.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/F5586D457B644351AD0FF9FD628A41D2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/4B41E39C93E74BB5A6BA3BEAB8E3B515.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-03-2007, 04:09 PM
Administrator

I doubt it would be E-brake related.

Old 06-03-2007, 04:12 PM
JPN

Thanks, Tech. I didn't think so either but wanted to ask you for slight possibility.

Good day,

JPN

Old 06-03-2007, 04:39 PM

Nice pics JPN!

And thank you both for the suggestions. So, I think with some direction and a nice dayI could inspect the pad holding springs and possibly handle that repair at home. But the other two seem better left to professionals. My visit to the mechanic is not until tuesday and my planned departure day for OR isint until the 18th soooo i have some time to get everything squared away.

As far as recreating the noise on a smooth road I will try tomorrow morning on the way to work (my last day!) If I can recreate would that pretty much gaurantee a broken sway bar link?

Much obliged!

Old 06-03-2007, 05:37 PM
Administrator

If so the pretty much sounds like the sway bar broke. The rear has no links. It is a solid bar.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be lose parking brake shoes-had same on mine '95 GLT

Old 06-05-2007, 02:52 PM

Like Teck mentioned, its probably the rear shock mounts. On my old Volvo, they were bad and would once in a while make a clunk sound. Luckily, my new volvo is much better.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:59 AM

I picked my car up from the mechanic yesterday and it was indeed those break springs!!! A pretty inexpensive fix (yeah!) They went over my car with a fine toothed comb and oked me for my big trip across country!!!! I LOVE MY VOLVO!!! (and my volvo mechanic)

Thank you all so much for all of your help with this problem and all the other general maintenance advice. Knowledge really is power.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Glad it was very simple for you.

Have a safe trip!!