Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Read the Diagnostic Trouble Codes Without an OBD2 Code Reader

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Read the Diagnostic Trouble Codes Without an OBD2 Code Reader

was looking for a way to read codes using a laptop, came across this.

Locate the 16-pin data link connector. Connect the jump wire to terminals 4 and 9 of the connector. Turn the key to the "On" position without starting the engine.

Watch the "Check Engine" light. This light will begin to flash in specific patterns to indicate a 1- or 2-digit Diagnostic Trouble Code. The flashes will be long for the first digit, short for the second digit and blank if the digit is 0.

Record all the codes given. The "Check Engine" light will display the codes in sequence and then keep repeating them in order. Refer to your repair manual to check for the meaning of the codes.

There is a risk of electrical damage to your car's computer if you do not connect the jumper wire to the correct terminals.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Was it in a Volvo forum or where was it that you pulled that from ?? That sounds more like how you pull codes from a pre 96 General Motors vehicle with OBDI.

What year car do you have ??

If it's OBDII it's a lot safer just to swing by the parts store and have them read them for you and also get a print out of the meaning of the code(s).

Old 08-10-2012, 03:43 PM

was just searching google, wasn't volvo specific. i have a 1996, but i cant drive it to a parts store. Also cant find a place to rent it from. Might have to buy one unfortunately.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:38 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't know if it would work on a Volvo but I wouldn't risk losing a computer on the info you found. If you short the wrong two wires you can easily kill an engine management computer.

Since you are talking about reading codes it would have been better to have just asked in this thread about the cheap code reader instead of starting a separate thread just for that question. Keeps things a little neater.

If you posted your location in your profile so it popped up on your posts you might be able to get someone near you who has one to take pity on you and come by with theirs. Never know.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 08-11-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:20 PM

Thought i did add my location , must have forgot to. I`ll merge the thread. Thanks. Cant seem to delete the other, i reported it.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

No places i can rent from, and cant drive me vehicle to a station so i have to buy one.

Found this one, did a little research on code readers as i`m new to them, just making sure. Is there anything it cant do which will force me to buy a different one?

Amazon.com: Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles: Automotive Amazon.com: Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles: Automotive

Car runs perfect but dies after several minutes. I`m picking up this code reader and a fuel pressure tester to begin my diagnosis.

And money is a factor here . I don't necessarily like cheap tools, but i`m kind of on a budget right now.

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
Have no idea if it's good, for twenty bucks it's got to be pretty cheaply made but if you're not expecting much you won't be disappointed. As long as it will give you a code a computer search on google or yahoo will pull all the info you need.

Does your car have a check engine light on ??

Last edited by treborly; 08-11-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:23 PM

Dont recall which lights were on b/c i only got it running once since i bought it. they're atleast 3-4 lights on.

curious about these bluetooth readers
Amazon Amazon
. Seems handy if you can download apps and stuff for it.

It says it also reads fuel pressure? does this mean i dont have to buy the fuel pressure tester b/c the ecu can tell me the psi? will save me money

Last edited by treborly; 08-11-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You don't need a code reader for a 97. It's possibly helpful...but Volvo made it so you can check 'em at home. Save these to computer and then blow 'em up a bit.