Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Rear Pads

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 01:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Pads

Hey guys,
I'm not at home so I have like no tools and I need pads. I got a set of pads already. Correct me if I'm wrong but I just need to slide out the 2 pins and the springs, slide out pads, wiggle back the pistons into caliper and release fluid (or let it go back to resorvoir), slide new pads in, springs and pins. That sound good? OH 94 850 Turbo Sedan

Old 10-20-2007, 01:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rear Pads

No need to open a bleeder valve. If you do you will need to bleed the brakes.

I'd use the pads to help you push the pistons back into the calipers. Everything else sounds right though.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 10-20-2007, 10:14 AM
Rev

Don't forget to put some anti-squeal grease between the pads and shims as well.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:38 PM

great! thanks guys.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:22 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

And I wouldn't use generic brake-quiet compound, as they are almost useless. I would use either silicone-based brake grease or CV-joint grease/any molybdenum-based grease. Make sure not to get it on the friction surface. Clean everything with brake cleaner (try not to inhale it as much as possible, as it contains toluene which is strong enough to melt a Styrofoam dish the instant it contacts it).

Good luck & work safe.

JPN

Old 10-23-2007, 08:08 AM

It's recommended that you get new caliper bolts and pins.

I think the only reason for the bolts is because the new ones have loctite on them. You can just buy some and put some on the old loctite.

But if you notice, on the pins, there is a plastic ring around the top. When you hammer the pins into the caliper the plastic ring compresses and holds the pin into the caliper. If you re-use the pins, the plastic ring is compromised (mine were basically falling off the old pin). Personally, I'm glad I spent the $6 or so to buy the hardware kit, includingnew pins and anti-rattle spring,for the rears.

I bought everything here:
http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo850brakes.htm

Genuine Volvo (original, not OEM) pads: $35
Hardware kit: $6
Rear Pad shim set: $4
Silicone Grease: $8

I also bought more rotors, that was the expensive part, but since you are doing the pads you don't have to do that. For ~$50 you can get everything above and NO SQUEAKING AT ALL. It worked perfectly. Oh, and it was the first time I had ever done brakes on a car, ever. I'm satisfied.

The shims I bought from FCP weren't "half size" but I put them on anyway. The original pads didn't have ANY shims on there, I thought that was funny. Anyway, even using the full size shims I haven't got an inkling of squeak.