Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Rebuild rack and pinion steering?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 11:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild rack and pinion steering?

So I took my car by a guy who knows Volvos tonight and found out that a steering problem I've been having on my 1995 850 Wagon is probably due to the rack and pinion steering needing to be rebuilt.

I'm going to check out the tie rods tomorrow or Thursday just to make sure it's not a more simple fix, but if not he said a shop will probably charge around $700 for the job.

Can I do this job myself? If so, what all does it involve and do I need any special tools?

Old 01-13-2010, 07:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you're going to do the job yourself, I suggest just getting an already- rebuilt rack and pinion. Yes, it's more expensive, but rebuilding them is a bit of a pain.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had same problem. Get a rebuilt rack. The parts to repair are as expensive as a new one and involve lots of work . I learned to do the following when changing mine. Have as much ground clearance as possible. I put jacks and safety stands on both sided Jacks under jack points and safety stands under frame in front of jack points( Dont put under any part of front bolt on motor support frame since you have to lower this frame to remove rack. Remove tires and rims. Working from top, remove bolt where rack attaches to steering colum. Remove bolts securing rack to frame. Disconnect fluid lines( atight fit for wrenches and you may want to wait until you lower motor support frame for better access. Carefully count the tread make up at tie rod connections and write down. to insure you put each tie rod back where it had original thread make-up. Do this wrong and you will need new alignment. Place jack under motor . Remove any brackets etc connecting fluid lines to motor suppor frame. Loose front motor support frame bolts at least an inch but don't remove. Remove the 4 bolts attaching motor support frame to main body frame. support it with a jack or safety frame. Lower it as much as possible.. As I recall a good tool to use is a split socket end of 19mm wrench to disconnect fluid lines from rack. . Work steering rack down and off the connection at steering column. Then work it out under through space under passenger side fender. Reverse operation to install the replacement rack. Try to have a helper. It's a heck of a job to do alone in your garage.