Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

replaced rack now pump problems or?

Old 02-11-2012, 11:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default replaced rack now pump problems or?

Ok, so I replaced my rack and followed the instructions in my Haynes manual. I filled the respovoir and turned the wheel lock to lock over a dozen times. Started car and noticed that the resovoir would draw down the fluid and then the fluid level would increase. I also noticed the ATF would be filled with little tiny bubbles. I would then do the same thing, rotating wheel lock to lock and I would get some bubbling like the manual said as the way to bleed the system.

However, when I would drop the car to the ground, start the car and turn the wheel, the pump made noises, and the fluid would be filled with ting bubbles.

What am I doing wrong?

Any tips on how to bleed the power steering pump and the rack?

I used generaic ATF fluid.

Thanks,
Ray

Old 02-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you're doing this, I don't know what else to tell you other than you might need to try the trick at the end about putting the system under vacuum to pull any remaining air out

Bleeding Procedure:
After installing the steering rack in the vehicle, continue with the following additional steps:
  1. Connect all fluid and mounting hardware, but do not attach tie rod ends. Top up fluid level in p/s reservoir and maintain throughout the bleeding procedure. Do not start engine at this point.
  2. With engine off, purge system of air by turning steering wheel full left to full right at relatively low speed until air bubbles do notappear in the reservoir.
  3. Turn wheel to full lock, for instance full right, and hold in this position until air bubbles stop appearing in the reservoir. Be patient. This can take up to five minutes. Turn wheel to full opposite lock, full left in this case, and let air bubble out as above.
  4. Remove fuel pump fuse to prevent the engine from starting. Crank engine and turn steering wheel simultaneously full left to full right slowly until bubbles stop appearing in reservoir. Note: Do not crank engine for more than 30 seconds at a time.
  5. Install fuel pump fuse, start engine and let idle. Turn steering full left to right slowly until air bubbles stop appearing in the reservoir. If the steering continues to pulse or vibrate, continue bleeding by rotating the steering wheel full left to right until vibrations diminish.
  6. Reconnect tie rod ends and adjust toe-in to specifications. Check for leaks and proper fluid level.
Note: If the system is filled too quickly, the fluid can be prone to retaining air. Once this occurs, it can take one to two days of normal driving before the air is released from the system. In bad cases, you can install a schrader valve, without the valve core, into an old reservoir cap and use a Mityvac to purge air through vacuum.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kiss4afrog,
Used your method and found that patience was a good word here. Took sometime, but all the air bubbles are gone and so is that vibration in the wheel.
Thanks for the tips. Worked great.
Now onto the alignment shop top of the week.

Cheers