Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

satellite radio antenna routing

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default satellite radio antenna routing

hi gang whats best route into car for satellite radio antenna wire into 97 850 wagon sure appreciate any help

Old 11-19-2008, 11:21 AM
Default RE: satellite radio antenna routing

I have done it two ways, because the first one didn't seem to last. It was ina 97 850 GLT Wagon. For the first, initial install. Starting in the rear at theexterior molding above the liftgate I tucked the cable into the that molding. Inside you will have to pop a few upper panels on the passenger side in the cargo area. Start with the speaker grill and the additional trim panels along the back pillar and upper plastic trim along the top of the window.Use caution when prying them of but the will come out. Once they are off you can see the liftgate hydraulic piston. There is a hole to the outside around the gate hinge. Route the cable from the outside, in ensuring the routing does not impede hinge travel. Carefullypull slack through hole leave just enough to reach intended mounting position. You may use some zip ties to keep slack from sagging through hinge hole. Tuck antenna cable up into trim piecces along headliner running forward, don't usea screwdriver the cable is fragile. Finess is the better call here dont force the panels or wire. Continue forwardtucking the cable and around the front window pillar, there is a seam between the plasticand the headliner. Route it down along that pillar to the dash and tuck between door molding and dash.I routed the cable under the dash on the passengers side, there are some removable (torx head) screws along the molding on the bottom of the glove box. Pulled the screws and the molding slipped the wire in and tucked up the slack. This can be done for a drivers side install too.
Now the second involved me drilling a hole through the body of the car right below the glove box next the passenger's feet on the side. Open the passenger side door and look where the door hinge is, in between the hinges I drilled a hole from the inside. I placed the antenna on the top, forward corner of the passenger side roof above th window. Tuck the wire under the windshield molding and down to between the door and body. Pull the wire through the hole you made andunder the dash. I put RTV (weather stripping caulk) around the wire to keep out moisture. I hope this helps
Mike

Old 11-19-2008, 01:27 PM
Default RE: satellite radio antenna routing

Honestly, I went from my Xm unit to the Dash board and works just as well as on the outside. Some people here in Orlando like to steal antennas or better yet, move them around on the car and scratch the crap out of the paint. I got the Idea from a guy at car meet. He just wired it under the dash and over to the center of it. All u see is the small 1inch by 1inch antenna.