Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Service Light?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 04:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Light?

I have the service light come on. But I spoke to the previous owner and she said that the day before I bought it. She took it to get an oil change, 4 new tires, a new battery and a standard service. I looked in the book and sure enough she has all the stamps of service from back to 1995 until this year. But the light is on.

So.. How do I turn it off?

Also, I have noticed some times, not all the time. The ABS light comes on. I know this is the Anti-Lock Brake System. But what does it mean?

Does this have something to do with the service light?

Please understand I have only owned my Volvo for about a week. So this is all new to me since before then I had a 1997 Daewoo Cielo..

Old 09-21-2007, 08:30 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Service Light?

I think the ABS light coming on and off is signaling that the ABS module is going/has gone bad. I actually have the same issue that I need to deal with. You can search on this forum and find a number of threads about it. It seems that there are three options: 1) pay a lot of money to a dealer to fix it; 2) buy a new/refurbished module for $3-400 and install it yourself; or 3) look into this site http://home.earthlink.net/~vicrocha/...vo_V70_ABS.htmand pay ~$120 to have it fixed. I'm planning on doing option 3, but that leads me to another question I have.

My wife isn't keen on having the speedometer out and plans on not driving during the week or so that the module is out. That is the only car that we have that we can fit our car seat, so it's somewhat difficult to find a week where we don't need that car. So, what are the consequences to not fixing it soon. On the above mentioned site there is a list of possible results from a bad ABS module, but I was wondering how common they are and basically"what's the worst that could happen?".

Old 09-21-2007, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Here is the procedure to reset the service light. Trust me, this works and it is easy. http://volvospeed.com/850slight.php

As for the ABS light, yes, if it is coming on intermittantly while driving, it is a sign that it is going bad. IF it goes completely bad, you will have no ABS braking.

Glenn

Old 09-21-2007, 12:06 PM

before you have the abs module rebuilt, check the wires to the front abs sensors, on top of the hubs. from time to time, the wires will rest against the tire and either break in half or short together. seen it 2 or 3 times anyway

Old 09-22-2007, 12:54 AM

Well... Daniel (The hubby) and I went out to chedck everything you all said. And guess what we found. There was no fuse in the ABS spot. So we put a fuse in it and the light on the dash went off.. Could it be that simple? LOL.. It appears so. Now there is nothing wrong with her at all... I am soo happy. Now I just have to work on the tiny dent in the door from a shopping trolley and the dent in the bonnet from the angry ex of the previous owner. LOL

Glad I bought Daniel a panel beating kit last year..

Thanks guys.. Oh, and Daniel said the ABS light was on all the time. I just didn't pay attention. LMAO. Told you I am a bit ditzy about some car stuff.. But getting better each day!! :P

Thanks again!!!

Old 09-22-2007, 05:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The scanner from obd-2.com will reset your service light. It costs about 120.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Trina

Well... Daniel (The hubby) and I went out to chedck everything you all said. And guess what we found. There was no fuse in the ABS spot. So we put a fuse in it and the light on the dash went off.. Could it be that simple? LOL.. It appears so. Now there is nothing wrong with her at all... I am soo happy. Now I just have to work on the tiny dent in the door from a shopping trolley and the dent in the bonnet from the angry ex of the previous owner. LOL

Glad I bought Daniel a panel beating kit last year..

Thanks guys.. Oh, and Daniel said the ABS light was on all the time. I just didn't pay attention. LMAO. Told you I am a bit ditzy about some car stuff.. But getting better each day!! :P

Thanks again!!!
Tell him to take out the instrument cluster and pull the bulb, but best case scenario would be to try the procedure mentioned earlier.

No offense, but I have found that most girls are not very aware of what is happening in their cars (A constant ABS light would drive me absolutely nuts), so it might be good to have the service light reset so you know when to bring the car in. Or you can do it my way and just use the electronic mileage tracker and use that to know when you need to get the car serviced.

Be warned, the ticking one (I forget the technical term) will go to 999.9 and then it will reset so do not use that.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:54 PM

Ok, well everything was going great. BUT the ABS light came on AGAIN!
I drove a few kms and stopped at the shop. Then got back in the car and on my way home the light came on again.. Guessing this means I need a new ABS module.. Or will the car be fine without ABS? Is it a necessary repair? The braking seems fine. I have never dealt with ABS before. So I don't know much about it..

Sorry for being such a ditz. But we all started somewhere.. LOL I am just starting off now. :P

Old 09-23-2007, 12:06 AM

^What's your location? Check the fuse and see if it's alright.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:29 AM

I am in NSW Australia. About 6 hours north west of Sydney. I just took it for another drive and no lights came on at all. Just the service light for the first few minutes. But I can live with that now.
When my husband has a time off work I am going to get him to check her over. He normally doesn't get home until 9-10pm so its too dark to do anything with the car.

But now I have another problem. I noticed when I back out of my drive- steering wheel left hand down, the front left wheel makes a clicking noise until I stop and it goes away when I drive off. Its not present when I am reversing straight, only when I turn the wheel. Got any ideas?

Maybe I should start a new thread- "Trina the learner chick"..

Thanks everyone for all your support though. I hope to be able to learn all I can and return the knowledge to someone else.
My main priority is to look after this beautiful car and keep her looking beautiful...

Old 09-23-2007, 08:42 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello mate,

The click may or may not be the CV-joint that is about to fail. If you can do so safely, take a look at the rubber boots for rupture. If it has a rupture, road dirt & debris may have found their ways into the joint. In this case, you need a new CV-joint, but many members here seem to replace the entire drive axle, as it saves time. See what Moderator Tech thinks.

Normal braking does not get affected even when the ABS goes inoperative. However, when you suddenly encounter a kangaroo and would like to avoid him/her, ABS would definitely help. The primary purpose of ABS is not to shorten stopping distance on slippery roads; it is to give you steering capability even under panic braking on a slippery road.

I hope this helps.

JPN

Old 09-23-2007, 12:42 PM

ABS is definitely a must-have for me. I wouldn´t even considering getting a car without ABS and airbags.

It´s probably not cost-effective to send your ABS module to the US to have it repaired. If you know someone who is a little bit skilled in electronics you can ask him/her to fix it for you with some DIY instructions that are available somewhere on one of the forums. It could even be a TV repair shop, since the fix is trivial. I will try to find the tutorial and post the link here.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:28 PM

Here´s an interesting thread:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...5af&t=7414

Look at the picture I have attached. You will see the necessary resoldering points. I just hope your ABS module is the one in the picture. I think they changed suppliers in 95, but I am not sure.

There are dozens of threads regarding ABS failure and repair. You have to search the different forums.

You are on you own doing this repair. I am not responsible for any consequence.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4713/771838CBB64B43ACBE97CA82C6B86F21.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-23-2007, 07:26 PM
JPN

Another option:

https://volvoforums.com/m_58856/tm.htm

Or find a local shop that deals with electronic systems on modern automobiles.

Good luck,

JPN

Old 09-23-2007, 09:33 PM

Great link, Kanji! Keep up the good work as a moderator. I am off to Panama for three weeks starting Tuesday, so I probably won't be around that much.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:55 PM
JPN

Axel, have a safe trip, you'll be greatly missed forthree weeks.

While you're away, I'll help people with electrical/electronic problems with my chisel & hammer combo method[8D].

See you in a little while,

Kanji/JPN

Old 09-27-2007, 04:41 AM

Thank you for the information... Taking it to the local elec repair guy in a few days.. See what he can do...

Old 09-27-2007, 05:35 AM
JPN

Good luck!

JPN