Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

The Shag Wagon is back home

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 07:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The **** Wagon is back home

After a 6 month hiatus, I'm back. I had to give up my 850 wagon to my daughter back in March after she totaled out her truck. I spent a good portion of the day on Saturday cleaning the remains of Hurricane Jesica out of the car and giving it a complete detail.

Now comes time for work.

It needs a set of tires and I need some input form you guys on sizes. Presently I have 195/60-15 good year eagles on a set of Momo wheels. Last year, I replaced all shocks and struts, as well as strut plates up front and shock mounts in the rear.
However, the car still rides like crap and has a lot of road noise. I'm thinking of going up in size to a 205/70-15 on the factory alloys or possible some 14 inch steel wheels with a 235 or 245/70-14. Anything to get a taller sidewall with more cushion.

Based on what I see more of here on the site, which tends to lead toward lowering the car with bigger wheels, I maybe going in the totally opposite direction. Hopefully, someone here has the same mindset as I and can give me some direction.

Secondly, I need more volume and better sound. I’m looking to upgrade the speakers, both doors and dash. I already have a good JVC head unit with Blue Tooth, but I need more. I’m thinking a small four channel amp and a ten inch sub for the rear. Crutchfield doesn’t show any direct replacements for speakers, so I’m looking for recommendations there as well.

TIA. LF.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:36 AM

If you're going to do a sub, I'd consider a 5 channel amp. I helped my Dad put a system in a VW a few years ago, and we used a JL Microsub (8 inch W1 I believe), and the 5th channel had enough power to give it a very nice oomph.

I have had plenty of the cars that will rattle your fillings out with bass over the years - at the time, I thought his little sub was underpowered, but now that I've aged and mellowed a little bit.. it was just about right. I would do something similar in my wagon, if I could hide it from view, and not worry about it being stolen.

My car has the 8 speaker system with 200 watt factory amp. I put 5-1/4s in all 4 door panels and it sounds very nice. The 5-1/4s had a larger than normal dome tweeter protruding, so while I was able to mount them in the factory location, they were too tall. I took the door panels out, and attached them to the rear of the door panel with stainless hardware and locknuts.

5-1/4s will fit in all 4 doors with minimal modification, and sound great.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:55 PM

I am sure some others will chime in on this. On the 850 your risking rub with anything wider than a 215 width tire. On by black 94 i have 225/50/17 Yokahamas and it drives great ride is quiet but I cannot cut the wheel full left or right and some rub in the rear pulling into steep driveways. I have 215/40/18 on Yellow 97 and there is no rubbing at all even after lowering it.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:32 AM

***UPDATE*** Well, I'm in a bit of a quandry. the **** Wagon has a leak. Looks to be where the transmission case splits just behind the small torque strut / mount on the bottom front left. The car has well over 200K miles and I'm not sure if I want to tackle trying to fix this leak. Otherwise, the car runs great other than the afore mentioned issues with the tires. What to do, what to do.

Anyone interested in buying it? I'd probably let it go for $1500. It has new struts and shocks, fuel pump, head gasket, timing belt and water pump, CV axles, and much more. New Momo alloy wheel and the tires are 70% on the front and 30% on the rear. I also have a set of the factory 6 spoke wheels powder coated on gunmetal gray to throw in.

Interior is clean and everything works. It does have the Air Bag light on due to me starting the car with the dash removed, and the ABS /TRACS light comes on and off intermittently. Squeaks and rattles, which come with a car of this age, are free and plentiful.

Any and all interested can contact me here. Trades for interesting stuff is considered.

Thanks, Eddie

Attached Thumbnails The Shag Wagon is back home-volvo3.jpg  
Old 09-10-2013, 01:59 PM

Sooooo whatcha doin with those roof rails?

Old 09-10-2013, 03:56 PM

Those rails are no longer on the car. But, I still have them. If you want them, I can drag them to work at RAFB and you can pick them up.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lizella Fella
Those rails are no longer on the car. But, I still have them. If you want them, I can drag them to work at RAFB and you can pick them up.
Yes please, I work in Warner Robins off Watson so we can meet up.

Last edited by mikesvagen; 09-10-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:11 AM

pm sent to you, mike

Old 10-15-2013, 10:38 AM

Follow up and transmission question. So, I decided go ahead and fix the oil leaks on the wagon and keep driving it. The rear main seal is leaking as well as the tranny case. Based on the orange RTV on the transmision case, it's obvious the case has been unsuccessfully reasealed. I'm thinking that Anerobic sealer should have been used since the case parts have machined edges.

My question is has anyone ever opened up the case on one of these transmissions? I'd like to open the case up and reseal the right way, but I am unsure if I do seperate the two sections, anything will fall out or slip out of place. Attached are some pics of the transmission. I guess if I had an exploded view of the tranny, maybe a parts breakdown that might help. I'm open to any suggestions anyone may have.

Attached Thumbnails The Shag Wagon is back home-volvo-tranny.jpg   The Shag Wagon is back home-volvo-tranny-2.jpg