Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Skittso850R projects.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 08:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skittso850R projects.

Hi Guys ,
Now I have 2 850R's I thought I would start my own thread and can update them every now and then.

97 Black 850R that has 155,000 kms and just had the gearbox rebuilt 2000kms ago. I bought it as I have always liked the shape of the 850 since they were released and always wanted a 850R. I got my long service payout and thought now was the time to purchase one, gradually upgrade it and but try to maintain the stock look.
These are the thing I have currently replaced and upgraded:-

1. Replaced coolant hoses as 2 were leaking.
2. Replaced front and rear suspension as it was worn and shocks were leaking.
3. Replaced stock spring with IPD sports springs. (like the look)
4. 302mm groove and slotted brake upgrade front and akerbono pads.
5. Rear brakes changed for grooved and slotted and akerbono pads.
6. Carbon Fibre spark plug cover.
7. Carbon Fibre Throttle body cover.
8. Replaced bottom oil cooler line as it was leaking. (never again, what a hassle)
9. Replaced oil and filter.
10. Replaced coolant.
11. Removed front seat covers and replace with Elwood industries reproductions. ( they fit excellent and look great)
12. New leather gear **** and hand brakeand handle.
13. New stereo with GPS, bluetooth, TV, DVD and rear park camera.
14. Fitted pollen filter and holder.
15. Replaced centre console as old one was broken at the back of the lid.
16. Repair glove box hinges and front door.
17. Replace rear brake light switch and cruise control switch.
18. Repainted front bumper top section & rear bumper corners, driver and passenger roof edges and bonnet.
19. Replaced aerial.
20. New Xenon globes to Low/High beam, Fog lights and park lights.
21. New rear mud flaps.
22. Replaced rear chrome badges. (someone had painted them black and red)
23. New egg crate front grill and "R" badge.
24. Dual exhaust purchased but not fitted yet.
25. Purchased Private license plates.
26. Replaced the roof strips and polished the aluminium strips.

I am just about getting there with the look I wanted. I only drive the car on weekend now and then. I put a lot of work in to give a fantastic result of finish achieved. I just want to refurbish the stock Volan wheels as I like to look of them.

I loved the 850R so much that I have just bought a 1996 White 850R wagon done 350,000kms. I have plans to completely strip it back to the bare shell and do a complete restoration and rebuild the engine with modifications. Exterior paint is in great condition so I might just cut and polish it or repaint it and add a pearl flake to the clear. Interior is in good condition just needs cleaning and the front seat need new covers. I still want to maintain that stock look but change things to modernise the look.

I've attached some photos and will add the thread as I make changes.
Hope you like the result.

Attached Thumbnails Skittso850R projects.-sideview.jpg   Skittso850R projects.-rearview.jpg   Skittso850R projects.-engine-shot.jpg   Skittso850R projects.-frontview.jpg   Skittso850R projects.-interior.jpg  

Last edited by skittso850R; 04-26-2013 at 08:24 AM. Reason: change spelling
Old 04-26-2013, 08:22 AM

Heres some more pictures. The first one is of the black one and the others are of the white one.

Both cars were purchased from locations were the temperature is warm constantly so the cars have no rust.

Thanks for any comments.

Attached Thumbnails Skittso850R projects.-passenger-interior.jpg   Skittso850R projects.-volvotyper2.jpg   Skittso850R projects.-volvotyper3.jpg   Skittso850R projects.-volvotyper5.jpg   Skittso850R projects.-volvotyper7.jpg  

Old 04-26-2013, 08:42 AM

Your steering wheel is on the wrong side!

Old 04-26-2013, 08:54 AM

Welcome from a 97 850R Wagon owner

Can anyone comment on the Elwood seat covers and how they match OEM covers?

My drivers side needs replaced or repaired, but the passenger side is still decent. Curious if the match would be decent if I only changed the drivers upper, or if I would need to change all 4 seat skins to get a match..

Old 04-28-2013, 06:20 AM

Lol on the steering wheel.

I have fitted the Elwood seat covers to my Black one. The leather texture is slightly different,if you are OCD about the finish but the colour is spot on. The seat covers them selves are easy to fit and fit perfectly and add a better feel as there is a bit of padding added to the covers. The alcantra is a perfect match and they have the grey cross peices as well. If you look in the pictures the seats are with them fitted.

I think you would notice if you just did the back section as they are right next to each other. Just because of the texture difference of the leather. I would replace all 4 just to make it look nice.

I always wanted the wagon but couldn't get one when I was first looking. I understand that the white wagons are quite rare in Australia. I haven't seen another advertised yet. I'm looking forward to getting started on the project but promised the wife I would build a house first. Had to that so I could buy the car.

And yes she does were the pants in our house!!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2013, 12:58 PM

The Elwood seat skins are a perfect match. Ive seen them installed in person, he does great work..