Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

so i got a flat tire the other day....

Old 12-20-2006, 01:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so i got a flat tire the other day....

and boy oh boy was it an experience. So I was on my way to school and i got a flat tire. So when i was trying to get thetire off to change it, i noticed something very odd. three lugnuts loosened without a struggle, but the "safety" lugnut was put on pretty tightly. I have never seen a "safety" lugnut before. So anyways apparently volvo has made these lugnuts to prevent people from stealing your wheel(s). Well, whats the purpose of them when the owner of the car cant even get them loosened to get the wheel off. They are cheap and in my opinionfeel like they are made ofa very cheap material, as for I shattered the "safety" lugnut the second time i gave it all my strength. and yes, i was using the special peice to unscrew the lugnut with.So as the story goes, the "safety" lugnuts were rusted and the people who are experienced withvolvosat a garage down the road from mehad tospend quite some time drilling these bad boys out (since the one on the flat tire didnt come out great, they took out all four of mine on all my wheels and replaced them with real lugnuts). So basically i am writing this post to warn people who have an older model of the 850 (or any volvo with the safety lugnut) to make sure you get your lugnuts checked out. because if you are ever in a situation like i had, youwould bescrewed. here are some pics:

second to right = what they are supposed to look like

Name:  CarParts015.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  3.2 KBName:  CarParts012.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  7.6 KB

you can see the grooves to the special attachment are just plain wrecked from getting them out
Name:  CarParts008.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  11.5 KB
Name:  CarParts007.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  4.6 KB

Old 12-20-2006, 01:28 AM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Default RE: so i got a flat tire the other day....

It mostly happens from Tire shops using Impact guns to install them.
They should be Hand tightened with a lug wrench.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:05 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: so i got a flat tire the other day....

Agreed, Mr. Tech.

My rear wheels were way over-torqued, and I had to use a breaker bar and had to hop-step-jump on it to get the lug boltsloose. Some garages don't seem to know how to install aluminum wheels, or they just try to cut corners.

Also, before I install the bolts, I usually clean the threads with brass brush and spray with a can of duster.

Happy Holidays,

JPN