Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Flat Tire Please help

Old 06-12-2007, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat Tire Please help

I have a flat tire...... it is in my garage. Now can I call AAA in the morning to change it? or doI have to have it towed to the dealership. Sombody told me Vovo tires have a special nut that prevents anyone from changing the tire BUT the dealership...the nearest dealership is 150+ miles....Thank you I am so upset.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:20 PM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Default RE: Flat Tire Please help

AAA should be able to install the spare tire.
If your car has locking lugs the key should be in the trunk.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:37 AM

I have a wagon....will it be with the spare? No my Husband can get back from where he is...(military training) and change it for me I would do it myself but the nut thing is weirdingme out....

Old 06-14-2007, 07:32 PM

I've never heard that about the nuts. If you check in your manual (in the maintenance section I beleive) it should tell u how to put the spare on. I know my S60's manual shows how to.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:08 PM

Well it turns out changing the tire was the easy part....finding the tire to replace it was next to imposible..so nowI am looking at 4 new tires for over $1000 not even the same kind....

Thanks for the help...and there were no nuts at all like the kind I was told about...

[IMG]local://upfiles/10564/2AF2B6B312E34CC399FA270D5E60ED24.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-15-2007, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to tell us more about the tires you are looking at. Tire size and brand along with what wheels you have. You should not have to pay $1,000 for a set of decent tires. Have you checked tirerack.com. I have bought my last two sets from them and paid about $500 for each set. One set I ordered at 5:30 and they were delivered by 11:00 the next day. My son in law did the same thing and just as quick.

From you picture it looks like you have real nice wheels. If they are 17" you can go with a 205 or 215 but don't go up to a 225. If they are 18" you will be paying more for the tires I'm afraid, but check out tirerack.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:27 AM

These are what is on the car...

Pierelli 235/45 ZR 17 97Y PZero Russo

I can not getjust two for the rearbecause of the AWD....
Your advice is AWESOME keep it coming....Thank you!

Old 06-15-2007, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

That's a very expensive tire, and I really think it's too big for your car. Most people have a problem with a 225 tire and you are running a 235. The vehicle calls for a 205 if I'm not mistaken, but I'm running 215/45/17's on my 97 850 R. Another thing is I don't see the need for the "Z" rated tire unless you are looking to race your car. It's good to about 160 MPH. I use an "H"or a "V" rated tire on my cars, and find thm to be just fine. Here is a link to the tires I have on my 17" wheels and I'm very pleased with them:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....es&place=2

They are Yokomaha Avid H4S which is an "H" rated tire for $93.00 each and in stock.

The following is the tire I have on my 15" wheels on the other car and is the one I would have bought for the other car in 17" but they were not in stock at the time. It's a Kumho KH16 and is "V" rated (little higher speed that "H" but less than "Z"). $80.00 each and now in stock.

If you get the tires from tirerack you will need to find a local place to do the the install. It should run about $15.00 per tire for mount and balance. Tirerack may even recommend a place and have the tires delivered directly to them. You can call tirerack or order online, same price.

You hang in there and we will get you set up with a decent set of tires. I don't want to see somebody ripping off the wife of a military guy while he is serving our country.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

One more thing, don't get any more Pirelli's. I've had bad luck with them twice.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:00 AM

Thank you so VERY much...I was told those tires are WAAAYY too high performance for my car. I do not race my car at all...I might be a little heavy footed...but mostly I haul my dogs to the vet and grocerys home. The are also heavey load rates...I do not have a tow package so not needed...

Question for you..."Most people have a problem with a 225 tire and you are running a 235" What are those numbers?

You are great an your advice is very welcome and very informed...We have only 3 major tire stored here and they all did not have those in stock....

Old 06-15-2007, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

The 225 and 235 are the width of the tires. Probably in milimeters or something not sure. The next number, 45, is the percentage of the width that height of the tire. So 45% of 215 is 96.75 and 45% of 235 is 105.75 which means the 235 are both wider and taller causing the tire to rub on the wheel wells. The 17 in the tire size it the size of your wheels.

If you get the tires from tirerack any tire shop will be able to mount and balance. You should also get a four wheelalignment when you put on new tires. Whole deal with new tires should be no more than $600 maybe even closer to $500 if you find the right place. I have Michelins on my 98 V70 wagon, but they are 15" wheels.

What kind of dogs are you hauling? I've had Golden Retrievers since 1973. Great dogs for my kids and now for my grandkids.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Here is the tire you have on your car at tirerack for $193.00 and it is in stock. So there is another option of just replacing your one bad tire. If the tread on the other three tires is REAL good, this would probably be the way to go.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:24 AM

I
have a 16 year old beagle..she has lived everywhere...and a ratty little rescued dog. She has no teeth and bites kids ....lucky for us it can't break the skin. ~LOL~ and We have no children.

The guy ordered me Michelins. I am not impressed with Pirelli's at all and never have been. He did tell me those were too high end tires for my use.....

I was all nervous about that but I trust your advice because you do not have any $$ to gain by helping me...

I have to say Corpus Christi is a very patriotic town and they are kind to military folks here..unlike some other places I lived .

I think if things got high it might be due to my ignorance…and frustration at the is end of the earth town…But I do like the beach.

Will lowering the width improve my gas mileage?? I gat about 20 mpg in the city but it is more like Highway...

Old 06-15-2007, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Michelins are the best, but a little too pricey. If the price of Michelins are within $100 for all four, I buy the Michelins every time. Until recenly that's all I ever ran, but very expensive in the size I need on my 17" wheels. That's why I went with Yokohamas. What model is your V70? Is it a V70R? My son's (or should I say his wife's) is silver with charcoal interior. I really like the bright red like yours though. I'm looking for one like yours only in a T5, front wheel drive turbo, but I want a five speed. Hard to find, but I'm in no hurry.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:59 AM

The interior is BRIGHT Pumpkin orange. It is BRIGHT combo. This is my very first Volov. I bought it used this past Ocotober. It only had 4,000 miles on it...and a teacher at work was selling it for her mother who became veryill. They had hard time selling it because of the color combo...I did not mind it just made it more affordable for me. The seats are really comfy....Hubby was gone for 2 months andI knew it might not be around...so I went and got my loan and bought it...I paid it off in 9 months...I just LOVE this car but I am so nervous about everything...I LOVE the help I am getting here...it makes me relax...