Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Sputtering while in gear help! ><!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Sputtering while in gear help! ><!

Ok today on the ride home from work the 850 Wagon (base model non-turbo!) decided to about half way throw a monkey wrench my way. It just started to well sputter is the best definition I can give. I'd press the gas to accelerate and it would clunkily sputter its way on up very very slowly. I figured maybe I needed some oil since I finally repaced the broken dipstick and when I checked the oil level it was well LOW! I put some oil in and let the engine run a minute to allow the new oil to circulate around and well it didnt work. I'd go to accelerate and this sputtering if not hesitation would start up. I'd take the car out of Drive and into N and then rev the engine and it would be fine no problem.. but as soon as I put it into any gear besides N it would sputter once I touched the Gas.

Thoughts, Ideas, Suggestions?
The airfilter is for all intents brand new, I know I have a oil leak but the car is a 97' with +150k miles on her. The CV joints I know need to be replaced but only the outer boots are ripped though to my knowledge it shouldnt cause this type of hesitation by the motor. Erm.. what other info could or couldnt be relevant.. Oh the previous owner took horrible care of her.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Former Sponsor

It could be a few things, like a clogged fuel filter or cat. When was the last time she had a good stage 0? Are you getting any codes?

Old 09-03-2009, 02:32 PM

Stage 0? Sorry still new to the Volvo here so ><! forgive me.
The fuel filter I'm hoping to change over this weekend. The Cat does need to be replaced but more due to the fact it broke off from the rest of the exhaust system when one of the hangers for the muffler broke

I have no CEL going off which I found very strange to be honest. Mileage is alright between City/Highway 19.5 give or take.

I also checked the transmission fluid this morning.. and yeah.. I know its supposed to be well a reddish see-thru color.. mine is black I think its blacker than my oil! Again the previous owner didnt take care of this car but hey for $695 off craiglist it was good enough for me at the time. So now I'm playing catch up Thinking of doing a transmission flush this weekend also.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by fcpgroton
It could be a few things, like a clogged fuel filter or cat. When was the last time she had a good stage 0? Are you getting any codes?
Stage 0 is getting your car back to factory quality levels for things like plugs, wires, distributer and rotor, checking your hoses, belts, filters...things like that.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Clavius
I also checked the transmission fluid this morning.. and yeah.. I know its supposed to be well a reddish see-thru color.. mine is black I think its blacker than my oil! Again the previous owner didnt take care of this car but hey for $695 off craiglist it was good enough for me at the time. So now I'm playing catch up Thinking of doing a transmission flush this weekend also.
That is a good deal, but that car needs a stage 0 BAD. I would order the kit from us which comes with everything you need and just do it right once and be done with it. Also, flush that tranny ASAP. Here is a write-up on how to flush the tranny.

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/Transflush.php

Scroll to the bottom and there is the information you will need.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:20 AM

Whooohoo.. its worse now! UGH!
Right now I have the hood open and the plastic cover (broken) off (dont ask). Just waiting for it to cool down a tad before replacing the wires. Sorry Fcg I sadly have no working credit card (yeah for 4 months being unemployed blah!).

The car just doesnt wish to accelerate at all while in either D or R. N it runs so-so at the moment but when any real load is put on her while in D its like asking a fat chic to run.. it doesnt want to but will eventually once it realizes a donut is at the end of the road lol. Few notes so far, after taking the plastic cover off I noticed some oil laying around inside, not alot but some. I'm hoping this is just from overspill from people pouring in oil over the years. Also by two of the wire plugs there are empty threaded holes was curious if that is natural or am I missing some screws here? I'll take a photo later if people are unsure as to what I'm talking about.

I also bought a fuel filter and transmission fluid. Sad thing was I still have errands to run

Old 09-06-2009, 11:49 PM

The Culprit of my problems.. can you say KABOOM!!!! ?
Name:  IMG_6874.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  202.8 KB

Old 09-07-2009, 01:19 AM

ahhhh I think you found it...LOL

Also, the oil leakage on the head is most likly due to a bad oil cap seal....famous on these ...very cheap...buck or two.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:15 PM

Yeah this thing just seeps out oil Its on my list of things to fix. How hard is it to replace? I obviously dont mind wrenching just wish to know if I should block off a entire day/weekend for it lol

Old 09-07-2009, 08:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clavius
The Culprit of my problems.. can you say KABOOM!!!! ?
Dang. That is a well- fried rotor. For a rotor to be getting that hot, there has to be excessive resistance somewhere else. using an ohmmeter, check the plug wires. Should be no more than 5,000 ohms/ foot. check your plugs- they're probably worn. Heck, if that's what the rotor looks like, just change the whole darn thing- cap, rotor, wires, and plugs. Something caused that rotor to get that way, and it'll do the same thing again if you don't fix it.

Also, there's supposed to be a seal/ cover around the outside of the rotor. You might have taken that off, but if it wasn't, it should be there. it's a little gray cone- shaped thing with an o- ring around the outside. Keeps water out of the distributor.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:04 PM

the oil cap seal takes less than 30 secs and costs about a buck or two. lift you oil cap off the head and look at the cap. you will find a O-ring on it. feel it, it will most likly be hard and brittle and it should be soft and rubber like. get one from the dealer and just replace it.