Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Strange Heater Issue

Old 04-02-2009, 01:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Heater Issue

Ok, so I have a '93 850 NA, with ECC.

Long story short, before the heater had any trouble like it does now, the only issue that I ever noticed was the fan making a squealing noise when turning it on. It was kind of a random squeal but still happened.

Now, about 3 weeks ago, the heater just stopped turning on, didn't matter what I set the fan speed to. Also noticed at the same time, the REC, and AC lights were flashing, which hadn't happened before either.

So I figure it was the blower motor pulling too much because of the squeal and bearings maybe going out, that it just blew the motor or the resistor. Then about a week ago, i was sitting in the car with the ignition on, and just kind fiddling around, accidentally bumped the fan speed slider over to about mid point, and it started working again. At this point, I have no idea lol.

Over the past 2 weeks or so, it's been working whenever it wants to, until the last couple days.

It started not working at all. So I checked the fuse, and of course it was blown. The strange thing, is when I tried to put a new one in, it INSTANTLY blew that fuse, all with the ignition off. I've tried putting another fuse in slowly, and it just sparks, so I'm going to wait to try to put another fuse in, because obviously I've got a short somewhere.

My question is, where would I even start looking for a short. I've got the panels underneath the dash out, so the wiring is easily accessible, but I haven't really had the time to look under there yet. Hoping someone out there has a quicker route to go instead of just trying to find 2 wires touching LOL.

Thanks for any/all input!

Tim

Old 04-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The power stage (blower resistor) blew when the blower bearings seized. Change the blower motor before you change the power stage or you will blow the new power stage.

...Lee