Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

T5 blue smoke

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 07:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T5 blue smoke

Hello, i have 1996 model T5.

It got 255 thousand kilometres on it.

When i bought it, it smoked but didnt really notice it. I thought its the turbo. When i revved the car at idle, it gave alot smoke.

So i bought new, td04-16t turbo and its now installed.

Problem is, that smoking didnt stop.

-Every cylinder are measured with bar cauge, they were 11.5-12.3 bars all five.
-Plugs are clean.
-New turbo should be working fine (boost is ok, it was lubed before first start etc.) And sounds good.

Sometimes it gives horrible cloud, like a moment ago i started it, it smoked very very much blue/white smoke. But one weird thing is that in my opinion its not 100% burning smoke colored, and its not 100% burning oil smell. But the smoke is pretty blue colored.

I was thinking the PCV system, but there is no pressure on the oil dip hole, and it doesnt smoke from there. When i tried with my tumb there was no pressure coming.

Could this still be faulty PCV system? What other tricks i can do to test it works right?

I have no idea why it smokes. Turbo is new. Compression is OK.

And i think its not valve seals either. When i brake the car hardly with engine, and then fast go wide open throttle, there is no smoke cloud behind.

Car shows engine problem light, but i think its caused by my new, a bit bigger turbo, and car telling me that its boosting too much or something. My boost was like 0.7 bars with default engine map and just 16T charger. I think 0.7 should be OK?

Feels like car got all power, it pulls hard. But still smokes horribly lol.

Was thinking about piston oil rings too. But compression was very good, how it could be piston oil rings? How to test for 100% sure?

Old 06-21-2012, 07:52 AM

Im using mobil1 5-50w fully synth.

What kind of oil i should use?

Does oil type affect that smoking?

Old 06-21-2012, 08:25 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey Andtone, my guess would be valve guide seals, especially if it smokes more when you start it in the morning. Good compression and good turbo kinda rules them out but oil is getting in the exhaust gasses somehow and it's most likely valve stem guides.

I would suggest you use 10 weight oil. The manual recommends 10w-30 and 15w-40 in very hot weather. Also, switch to the high mileage oil, it's suppose to have special additives to help the seals.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:11 AM

But if its the valve seals why it doesnt smoke horribly when i brake with engine and then go full throttle?

Old 06-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Administrator

LOL, I didn't know the brakes were hooked up to the valve stems?

Old 06-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

rspi: When braking (engine braking that is..) the engine vacuum is at its highest which would suck the most oil past the guide seals, if they were leaking.

et al: Just because you have good compression doesn't necessarily mean the oil rings are sealing; i.e. you can have good compression still have excessive oil consumption past the rings...

Last edited by gdog; 06-21-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Most 16 year old cars with over 250,000 km on them have leaking valve stem seals.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:45 AM

Today morning when i started the car, it smoked like hell. When i looked at the turbo exhaust housing, there came oil spreading all the time lol.

Car also used dipstick from top to the bottom in a like 10 kilometres.

Could i have messed up something with turbo lines or something? Just changed new td04-16T cause car smoked but it still does.

Car doent have any power loss.

Its getting horribly much oil somewhere.

It was strange that when i started it there was no blue smoke coming from exhaust in a few 15 seconds like. Smoke came with a delay.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:37 PM

Today when i was driving the car and stopped and took oil dip stick away, there was smoke coming of it.

And looks like when car gives blue smoke cloud,. its related to see some smoke coming out of the dipstick

I think the PCV system is failuring.

What to do to clean it and get it breathe again?

Old 06-23-2012, 03:02 PM

bad pvc wont allow the engine to smoke as bad as you make it seem... bad pvc= blown seals, smoke from oil cap, dipstick. sounds like you have either bad oil rings or bad valve seals. bad valve seals will generaly cause smoke when letting off the gas or deaccelerating. bad oil rings cause smoke ALL the time.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:23 PM

Car doesnt smoke anything when deaccelerating with gears and rpm:s.

First i braked with gears and then went full throttle = no smoke cloud.

Car puffs the smoke so randomly.

How i can check PCV to be 100% sure?

And it really gives smoke from dipstick hole sometimes like after driving a bit longer.

Sometimes horrible smoke cloud from start, sometimes no horrible smoke cloud.

Car is started and smokes horribly = i drive car a bit, drive back to home, and let it idle, and there is no horrible smoke cloud anymore.

And how the hell it was giving so much oil to exhaust that i could see oil speading from exhaust housing?

Smoking isnt the same allways, its strange.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:55 PM

You would have to take the intake manifold off to get to the heart of the pvc then you can inspect all the different hoses for blockage and oil buildup it probably needs replaced anyway since your dipstick is smoking. And it really sounds like you have a internal oil leak in the turbo because valve seals and oil rings arent random. Are you sure you installed everything correctly on the turbo?

Old 06-24-2012, 02:03 PM

My suggestions would be a leak down test to make sure your head gaskets not blown, replace pvc system, double check turbo, and use thicker oil. Try 10w 40 synthetic thats what i use and car runs smooth. By the way you said the exhaust housing on the turbo had oil all over it?? That would cause smoke under the hood but you need to find where its coming from.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:16 PM

I was able to see oil drops spreading between exhaust housing and turbo, when car was running idle. And horrible blue smoke from exhaust my backyard was full of blue lol.

Im pretty sure its my PCV doing these tricks.

Can i try clean some hoses first and then maybe take the intake manifold off and replace whole system?

If it was engine, why one day i start it no smoke coming from car like at all, and one day i start it, and i was able to see those oil drops spreading and so on...

And yeah, its smoking very randomly. It eliminates oil rings and valve seals.

Turbo is new, cant believe it would be broken? It gives nice pressures, and healthy sound can be heard from free flowing air filter when it starts to charge the engine with pressure.

What i could have failed with installing the new turbo, whats worth to check? I oiled it from inside before assembly etc.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Administrator

First off, why would anyone that reads this site NOT service/replace their PCV? That doesn't make any sense. But anyway, off all the post about clogged PCV system I never read any like yours. It's more than a PCV system plugged.