Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Tech and JPN - Would like your input, which I will follow - Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 10:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tech and JPN - Would like your input, which I will follow - Tranny

Look under miscellanous items. I think it is there. They have a Volvo and Scantech brand. For the money Volvo is supposed to be far superior to scantech. Got the pics of the pan cover and solenoids if you want to see them. Fire me a PM and give me an email I can send them to. Glad to hear it is probably the PNP. Better than a new transmission or pulling the pan cover.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:19 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Good job PNP, I mean, Phoenix!

I too, would spend a little extra and go with genuine Volvo.

JPN

Old 08-28-2007, 04:58 AM
JPN

ORIGINAL: phoenix_iii

I much prefer the Zen of doing it yourself, but the dealer got it from auction (you know it didn't have fresh oil), he put about 2k on it (you know he didn't bother replacing), so it just needs to get done asap, could be 6 months and 5k miles on oil nasty oil... I thought that if tranny fluid left too long, it actually had abrasive characteristics that help the trans function, and clear/slippery fluid would actually result in a slipping trans due to being too clean. So they aren't going to do it, if I cannot get some hard and fast 'try this, if it does this, then it's that', I'll have to bring it 'some place'. Do we have a regional board/recommended places to reference?

Found another person with the same staysin a high gear (JPN you posted there first) symptom, hopefully they will stick around and post what was found.
Hi Phoenix,

Your suggestion was far morelikely than mine. For some reason I didn't think of mentioning it.

Rob, SUGGESTED SCENARIO:
A credit card statement arrives in the mailbox, and wifereaches it first (of course, thanks to Murphy[8D]).

Wife: Hey Rob, what's this Volvo AW-whatever manual thing?

Rob: (Make sure to act with full confidence[8D]). That is a Volvo authorised transmission service publication (don't you describe it as "repair manual"[8D]).

Wife: (Slightly confused) And what is this used for?

Rob: Good point (compliment her to divert her attention and flatter her to confuse her more[8D]). Well, I had made a decision to acquire (don't you say "buy" or some mundane words[8D]. ALWAYS try to sound intelligent & logical) the document, as to save the running cost of our vehicle (women always love saving, don't they?).

Wife: Oh, I see. Whatever saves our money is welcomed.

Rob: Yes, I agree with your accurate opinion (don't you ever disagree and keep flattering her[8D]).

Wife: BTW, how's the tranny on the 850?

Rob: Yeah, with this repair manual I cantake it apart and...

Wife: Gotcha! Sorry dude, but don't you open the package and I'm taking it back to the post office! Also, STAY IN BED UNTIL YOU'VE FULLY RECOVERED OR HAVE MY PERMISSION[8D]!

Rob: NO! Let me have the manual back and play with the gears!

JPN: I'd better RUN[8D]!!!

I hope this gives you a bit of laugh.

JPN

Old 08-28-2007, 06:10 AM

Oh no doubt, I went OEM. The first lasted ~120k, hopefully the second one too. I have the Bay13 install, but does not look pretty... I heard there was another, easier/different install guide... link? Will look at work today...

Old 08-28-2007, 06:41 PM

Hee, hee. That was good JPN. Right up to the part where she sends me to bed, she would never do that. Rest for the husband,,,,, naaahh! She would just take the package and suggest I vacuum or some such form of work. She is starting to give me a hard time about being sick for 5 weeks now. Like I have a choice, I have taken all medicine as instructed. 4 different rounds of antibiotics. Maybe if she let me get rest I would get better. Dare I suggest that? I better not. [:@]

Better run, I look idle right now. She will start suspecting something.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:05 AM

LOL....funny! I'm not going to say anything, I don't want to get
Rob and the other husbands on here in trouble.

Kanji your suggested scenarios are great.

Rob, I hope you recover soon.

John

Old 08-29-2007, 08:28 AM
JPN

Dear Gentlemen,

Thank you for your honourable comments, my sense of humor can be lame but I try.

Have a good day, it's night here in Japan. Be sure to go with genuine Volvo zzz.......

JPN

Old 09-04-2007, 11:08 AM

PNP Switch being installed today (Tuesday) or Wednesday... So we'll see if that does it. Having it done by my local friendly mechanic, hopefully not a bad idea, though I printed him out the Bay13 instructions just in case. =)

If this does NOT fix the issue I'll be p~ed, but hey, for probably ~$200 for the switch+installation it's not terrible. I want to start researching what else it could be, but I hope this is it!

p3

Old 09-10-2007, 10:41 AM

Update: It's Monday - Should be getting installed today (or tomorrow? ugh)... =) Will post... I'm just bracing myself for the
'I've installed the part and it made no difference' =(

We'll see! I'm optimistic it's the PNP, despite my lack of flashing up arrow... my improvement in shipping (actually using second gear) when doing the 'ratchet cleaning' about 40 times should prove it the PNP...

Old 09-14-2007, 04:44 PM

Nooooooooooo!!

Replaced the PNP and NO CHANGE. =(

He says it's Torque Converter lockup... hopefully just the solenoid? Where to buy that? Argh... help. ='(

*edit*

Starting new thread on just replaced the Torque Converter Lockup Solenoid