Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

time to pull the trigger on FMIC - input?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 11:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default time to pull the trigger on FMIC - input?

So after looking around at cx racing, I've come to realize that its gonna be a LOT cheaper to buy a DIY kit rather than piece stuff together. I found this:

cxracing.com: BOV + 27x6x2.5 inch Universal Intercooler + 2.25" Piping Kit RX-7 RX-8

Any thoughts?

Old 08-31-2011, 05:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's see: Plastic tubes and rubber couplers, or metal tubes and silicone couplers? Intercooler with direct air contact, or intercooler sandwiched between a radiator and condenser?

That kit will get you started, but you still need extra pipes and couplers. And that intercooler is small. If you're going to do it, get a good sized intercooler. Mine is 28x9x2.75..

Name:  DSCF2357.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  97.4 KB

Name:  DSCF2389.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  138.6 KB

Old 08-31-2011, 11:19 PM

what extra will I need? it comes with 2 j pipes, 2 straight pipes, 2 45 degree pipes, 2 90 degree pipes, reducers, 4 straight couplers, 14 t clamps, a 90 degree silicone hose, a 45 degree silicone hose, etc. what else am I missing that I will need?

The problem is that I plan on fitting this together and installing it the same day. this is my primary car and I dont have time to have it down because i forgot a couple parts.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think there is a way to say exactly what your going to need. Example: In gilber33's picture he has removed the tow hook so he can use a 1/2 round on the passenger side. In my case I used an elbow off the intercooler so I could keep the tow hook. Therefore we have just used different parts.
When you buy a universal kit you get a universe of options...you have to piece it together.
Another question, are you going to weld or use hoses?

Old 09-01-2011, 09:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, i can't tell you what you're going to need obviously until you start putting it together, but if you've done your research, you would have seen that every single FMIC how-to thread stated that that you need extra pipes and couplers. I even told you that when you PM'd me. Just like every other project, expect to start it, and then realize you're missing something, because I can guarantee it, it will happen.

I used three j-pipes, so I needed an extra, and I believe there was also another pipe I had to order. You need a reducer for the turbo (and no, the rubber factory reducer will not work), a reducer for the TB, and reducers for the intercooler. I used two 90* couplers, not the one. And as you can see in the picture, you need more than 14 clamps.

Honestly, that universal kit will not complete a FMIC, IMO. And doing this in one day can be done, but it took me a couple since only like three of the pipes can be installed without cutting. You have to mock it up a couple times before it's complete. Mounting the intercooler will take a while. You have to remove the bumper and bumper support. You have to move lines around between the intake manifold and the fan to fit the pipe in there.

Also, don't forget that you're going to have work something out for the IAC. Either you have to use the factory TB hose, in which case, you will need even more additional piping, or you'll have to have a nipple welded into the pipe and a 1" ID silicone hose from the pipe to the IAC. I used a plumbing fitting and JB weld, but if you do that, you have let it cure for a day or so before you start putting pressure on it, so that alone won't allow you to finish it in one afternoon.

Last edited by gilber33; 09-01-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mine spanned several days as I had pipes welded. I am going to recommend against the JB Weld. Seen those joints crack and break. A VS member attempted it on an intake manifold, did not hold.
I bought my kit from off another 850 so technically I should have had everything. I piped it differently so I needed more pipe. You just dont know what your going to need until you get cracking on it. I would start with the intercooler and work your way to the intake and turbo. That way you can still use your car while your building it.
You can see in the pic the passenger side is a 90 so it clears the tow hook.

Name:  4d6d8bb7.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  35.4 KB

Old 09-01-2011, 12:38 PM

boxpin: im going with couplers. I have a GREAT welder who will do my IAC pipe - I had already thought of that.

I sure wish they just made a complete kit for our cars. That's kind of a bummer. Guess it may have to wait until i can take some time off work.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

One thing I found to be a problem with these kits it that each pipe end has a bump rim around it so the hoses dont slide off but when you cut the pipe you lose that bump. Solution is to weld a bead around the end of each pipe for the hose to grip to.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:33 PM

not a bad idea. thanks for that suggestion, boxpin!