Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Trans acting up

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans acting up

Hi all
my car is presenting a problem to everybody around here maybe you can help? I have a 94' 850 they tell me the trans is not gone but it's not working properly. If the car is cold it will start up and go every time but once it warms up it will loose power and wont go even while driving if i let it cool for about 10 mins it will drive agin but only until it gets hot agin then the same thing happens and the overdrive light comes on and flashes sometime .I have had the trans flushed they told me there is no screen or filter for the trans.
So now what can it be? Maybe a modulator if so what are the names of them and how can they be tested?
[:@]

Old 12-13-2006, 11:13 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Trans acting up

What are the codes in the system?

If you need to know how to pull them click the link.

http://www.troublecodes.net/Volvo/

Then post the codes.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:07 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Trans acting up

Hello Newanna,

Good evening from Chicagoland.

I am wondering where you had your gearbox flushed. Did you have done at a Volvo dealer/a shop that specializes in Swedish/European cars? If not, did you note that they used the proper type of fluid (Dexron-IIE(III)/Ford Mercon)?

Also, double check the fluid level after driving the car for 10-15 minutes, then with the engine running, move the shifter to every detent, stopping at each detent for a few seconds, then put it back to "P". Pull out the dip stick, wipe clean with lint-free cloth, re-insert it and pull it out again, the fluid level should be within "HOT" mark. If overfilled, you need to drain some fluid, and if underfilled, add some Dexron-IIE (III)/Ford Mercon fluid, just enough to bring it up to the correct level and no more. It seems to me that the gearbox might have been overfilled, as the fluid expands IAW the operating temp, but without actually testing your car I cannot give you a better answer.

Also, as Mr. Tech has noted, check the codes. My 1994 850 Turbo only accepts OBD-II scanner to pull out codes for the gearbox (I could be wrong). The OBD-II receptacle is in front of the shifter, right under the coin holder. If there is an auto parts store such as AutoZone, they can check codes for free and erase stored codes. If you plan to keep the car for more than 3 years, it's not a bad idea to buy your own scanner. These days some entry-level scanners are affordable, though they are usually made in xxxxx.

Good luck,

JPN