Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Trans slip questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans slip questions

I have posted on here about my trans in the past but wanted to put a couple hundred more miles on the trans to make sure there were no more new issues besides what's been happening.
Here's what happens.

When starting from a stop light, I press the gas pedal and the engine revs. The car barely moves then all of a sudden the trans feels like it will pop into gear and operate normally. Only does it from a start. As long as the engine is cool, ie, first 10 minutes of driving the trans works perfect. Once it gets hot the slip starts.

Please don't go into the whole fluid speech. That subject has been beat into the ground. Fluid has already been completely flushed and yes it's at the correct level. Trans did the slip before the flush and now after the flush so I know it's not the fluid. What other mechanical items can be checked?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Last edited by twiin64; 09-11-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm watching this post due to the same issue. I have noticed the slower I come to a stop the more this happens and the more aggressively I drive the less it happens.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like it's OH time. My local indy volvo tech says they can OH these transmissions w/o a problem. But I've seen tech say they can't be overhauled too. I don't know myself; auto transmissions are the one thing I haven't had apart.. yet.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:17 AM

When you say the car barely moves when you hit the petal, could you elaborate? Does the car not move at all, or does it move very slowly like when you have the car set to "Winter" mode?

Old 09-12-2012, 03:09 PM

When you say the car barely moves when you hit the petal, could you elaborate? Does the car not move at all, or does it move very slowly like when you have the car set to "Winter" mode?

I don't know how much more to elaborate on about "the car barely moves". It rolls a tiny bit and then the trans will engage and the car will then move as normal.

I have also noticed the slipping when slowing and the trans downshifts all the way to the lowest gear. In this instance I won't have stopped but only slowed down. I press the gas pedal to resume and the engine will rev for approx. 2 seconds. The car doesn't gain any speed. The trans will then engage after the 2 seconds and the car will move normally.

Doesn't do the slipping all the time. I'm just wondering what this is so I can fix it.
I've never used winter mode and don't know what it does.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Old cars wear out and break down. I think the tranny is going out. You can try starting in L/2 or 3. Also winter mode is an option, all 3 should skip 1st gear, the offender. If you keep the fluid changed you can likely drive like that another 50,000 miles, just won't have any torque off the line.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:18 PM

I don't know what you mean by the whole fluid speech. Had a similar problem years ago on a 1st-gen Pontiac TransSport. Was about to drop big money on a rebuilt trans when the mechanic asked if I'd tried Trans-X yet. No, sez I. Quoth he, "Get some and try it."

Did. Problem went away completely, and I drove the vehicle another forty thousand miles before I traded it in on an Odyssey. Trans-X is your friend. Give it a shot.

Lynn B.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by tobolate
If his is like mine I get what he is saying. When I press on the gas it's like the car tries to move but can't and then it suddenly finds it's gear and takes off. almost like it is not entirely in gear or like the brakes are still holding it back. It is almost like taking off with a manual transmission that has a bad clutch at first. This only happens on mine once in a while.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:59 AM

The whole fluid speech thing means from a previous post of mine, I had asked what things besides fluid could be wrong and all I got was fluid comments. I've done the fluid flush with the correct fluid and the problem still exists which means it's not the fluid. I believe it's a mechanical failure or needed adjustment. I'm willing to try Trans X. I've already tried the Lucas trans stuff which didn't change a thing.

Phil 850, my trans does exactly as you just described. If you have an idea what causes that please let me know.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Like has been said earlier. Try starting out in L2 or L3. If that doesn't help, try using winter mode. if that is no help, try sport mode. If none of those work, you can try trans-x or some transmission slip stop as at this point that would most likely be your last option before looking at transmission overhaul or replacement.

Please don't bite at folks here for trying to help. Suggesting a fluid problem is normal as in 95% of the transmission problems encountered on this forum, the fluid (either low, burnt, dirty or wrong type) was the root cause of the problem!

Last edited by rspi; 09-15-2012 at 03:39 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:51 PM

Are there any DIY options with this transmission? I also have an 83 Mercedes diesel and on that you can drop the tranny pan and replace some springs, valves etc to correct certain issues.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Not much info for re-building a trans. I know they are/were used in certain Toyota's as well. FCP Groton might have the parts as well as IPDUSA. Might want to try them and see. I have a PDF of transmission checks but it is too big to attach here. I can try to PM with it.

BTW, I also have a 1983 Mercedes Diesel (300D with 255K on it) Definitely a different beast to work on.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Well, since you cannot add an attachment to a PM, try this link. Hope it helps.

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/ser...sDiagnosis.pdf

Old 09-15-2012, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Psaboic
Not much info for re-building a trans. I know they are/were used in certain Toyota's as well. FCP Groton might have the parts as well as IPDUSA. Might want to try them and see. I have a PDF of transmission checks but it is too big to attach here. I can try to PM with it.

BTW, I also have a 1983 Mercedes Diesel (300D with 255K on it) Definitely a different beast to work on.
I'll check the link tomorrow, thank you.
I have done a number of things on my Mercedes and if I can ever pass any info to you on that let me know. Mine is a 300SD.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:31 AM

Psaboic,
Please know that I always appreciate all the help I get on this and other forums. Never try to snip at anyone and if it comes out that way it's not meant to happen. I just asked a question about a certain thing and got answers to other things.

I know many problems come from fluid since it does a bulk of the work in an auto trans. I'm positive that there have to be other things besides fluid going wrong in this trans and that's what I was looking for.

This forum has helped me tremendously and saved me a couple thousand dollars so far by not having to take my car to a dealer.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

No problem. I agree, one of the bad things bout the internet is that you can say something completely innocent and it is taken a different way than what was intended

Old 09-23-2012, 12:16 PM

I have been driving for about 2 weeks with my transmission in sport mode and have found that it reduced the problem quite a bit. I have not had it pause when taking off from a stop during this time.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lynn_B
I don't know what you mean by the whole fluid speech. Had a similar problem years ago on a 1st-gen Pontiac TransSport. Was about to drop big money on a rebuilt trans when the mechanic asked if I'd tried Trans-X yet. No, sez I. Quoth he, "Get some and try it."

Did. Problem went away completely, and I drove the vehicle another forty thousand miles before I traded it in on an Odyssey. Trans-X is your friend. Give it a shot.

Lynn B.
did you drain any fluid or did you just add it on top??

thanks