Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

TSP sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSP sensor?

My car broke down a few days ago. It kept cutting out and jerking for 2 miles, and died when I pulled over. After that I couldn't keep it running for more than 5 seconds. AAA towed it to the nearest mechanic, who called me the next day and said that the TSP sensor (I think this is what it is, although it could be the TSB or TPS, which I know is the throttle position sensor) had failed, and that the sparksplugs had fouled with it.That was last Thursday. I called back today, and the guy said they were still working on it, that the car "is a nightmare," and that it would probably cost more than the $500 they originally quoted me at.

Anyways, I was wondering what this sensor is, and how much it would usually cost to replace at a Volvo dealership. I know from past experience that this guy is not cheap, and I only brought the car to him because he is close and because I originally thought the problem was bad gas or a clogged fuel filter.

Thanks.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: TSP sensor?

The throttle position sensor is a $50.00 part and it is held in place on the bottom of the throttle body with two screws.

??????

...Lee

Old 07-08-2008, 06:19 PM

So I take it that it's an easy fix?

Old 07-08-2008, 06:55 PM

Very easy.

I've not had to change one but I think it can be done without even taking the throttle body off. Even it the throttle body does need to come off it isn't that big of a deal.

What is the car (Year, turbo or N/A)? They may have broken the PCV lines taking off the intake boot if they were trying to remove the throttle body.

...Lee

Old 07-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am thinking that you are being taken for a really really long ride.

Here are some photos of mine and where it is located.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...nvil0007-1.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l..._Anvil0001.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...nvil0010-1.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l..._Anvil0007.jpg
http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...ategory_id/157

This should take you no more than 15 minutes to change and at the price listed at FCP I am kind of wondering why the price is coming in at $500 + [sm=wtf.gif]

I mean it is only two bolts and a freakin plug.

I would like to help you more but the year of your car is needed to be more precise.

You need to talk with this guy before he starts to plan his trip to Disney on your dime.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Ozark Lee

Very easy.

I've not had to change one but I think it can be done without even taking the throttle body off. Even it the throttle body does need to come off it isn't that big of a deal.

What is the car (Year, turbo or N/A)? They may have broken the PCV lines taking off the intake boot if they were trying to remove the throttle body.

...Lee

Lee, would this not mean that they would be responsible for that part of the repair?

But I am sure that they will, if this is the case, that PCV line was already damaged.

Is that not how it works?

Old 07-08-2008, 09:24 PM

Wouldn't be surprised. This is a guy who tried to charge me $50 to plug in an OBD-II reader. My parents like him though, and recommended him to me. I'll take their advice with a grain of salt next time.

Oh, it's a non turbo '96.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:41 PM

On a non turbo the PCV lines go into a bayonet style fitting onto the intake boot and they can get very fragile with age. The way to remove them is to twist the cap and pull it out. In the process of twisting the cap it puts stress on the PCV line that runs back to the oil trap. Search for anything pertaining to the Flame Trap or PCVand you can likely scare up a picture of what I am talking about since the flame trap disk is just behind the aforementioned fitting.

To Quick Brick's comments, that is a quandary. I have been in a service business for 25 years (Technical support for the radio and TV broadcast industry) and I have always taken the attitude that if I break it I fix it on my dime. Many in the service industry, particularly automotive, don't share my ethics.

At the end of the day they have the car, they have the keys, and they can slap a mechanics lien on the car even if you remove it without paying in full. You will not win, the mechanic will not win, the lawyers will win.

...Lee

Old 07-08-2008, 09:44 PM

ORIGINAL: quarterdimenickel

Wouldn't be surprised. This is a guy who tried to charge me $50 to plug in an OBD-II reader. My parents like him though, and recommended him to me. I'll take their advice with a grain of salt next time.

Oh, it's a non turbo '96.

You can choose
your friends but you cannot choose your family. Speak with them and see if you can get them to cover the cost of their recommendation[sm=smiley36.gif].

Old 07-08-2008, 10:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Ozark Lee

At the end of the day they have the car, they have the keys, and they can slap a mechanics lien on the car even if you remove it without paying in full. You will not win, the mechanic will not win, the lawyers will win.

...Lee
Don't they always? Buggers(not what I wanted to say, but you get the idea)